New Build 6X24X24

3dogsandreefing

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Post #1

Here we go. Back into reefing after a 25 years hiatus. Never thought I would dive back into this hobby but with the tremendous support and encouragement from my wife I am going to take the plunge. I plan to document my whole journey to get feedback and hopefully give insight and information for anyone that has questions. A lot of my information is based on BRS 52 weeks of reefing. I sat through all of those videos and a lot has changed in 25 years.

High Level Plan
Look at all the details. From the start I want to do this one time and not have to do it again. That would be the perfect world. But life would be boring if everything went perfectly.
With that said currently looking at the following: hybrid T5/LED, Triton method but maybe go to Geovit, UV, if going Geovit no UV because it is not recommended. Not sure if it will be needed for Triton method. Apex controller I like the alerts and data that it produces. Also feel that they are the market leader in controllers. All of this is subject to change and time will tell.
I have room for a 60” tank and up to 30” deep. I have been researching for a while and looked at several different manufactures. First looked at Redsea and Waterbox. Like the concept but the cabinets just will not fit in our current furniture design. So I am going to go with different manufacture tank and sump.

Tank
I searched all over for different manufacturers of tanks and these are the ones I came across. I was 80% set on a rimless but still leaving options open.
Reef Savvy - Sent an email about tank build and have not heard back.
Planet Aquariums - Called LFS and waiting for a quote.
SC Aquariums - This is looking promising. They have a rimless but I don’t like the extra support that they have to brace the tank with at the top. While it is rimless there is a 2” strip of glass that goes around the top. Although the price is very attractive and I may go that route.
Crystal Dynamics - Liked them because they were local but the reviews scared me and decided not to even contact them.
Innovated Marine - Just didn’t have the size measurements I wanted.
Visio Aquariums - They had framed tanks at LSF but no rimless on display and never asked to quote rimless.

Sump
I also searched all over for sumps.
Trigger Systems
Bashsea
Synergy Reef
Several others
What it is coming down to is quality and function. I really like Synergy Reef and waiting to talk to them. I like that they have 2 options traditional and Triton method. If I go Triton method I will go with the Synergy Reef sump.

Cabinet
Kitchen was remodeled 5 years ago so going to have my cabinet maker build a custom cabinet. It will have the same finish and doors as our current cabinets.

I will try and post weekly on progress.

Hydrored

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just purchased a 180 rimless from Planet that is arriving this week, I also have a 120 planet that I have been very happy with. Planet turned around the glass in a week, the cabinet is what’s taking the longest. You can PM if you are interested in what I paid for just the glass with internal overflow

OP
OP

3dogsandreefing

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Post #1

Here we go. Back into reefing after a 25 years hiatus. Never thought I would dive back into this hobby but with the tremendous support and encouragement from my wife I am going to take the plunge. I plan to document my whole journey to get feedback and hopefully give insight and information for anyone that has questions. A lot of my information is based on BRS 52 weeks of reefing. I sat through all of those videos and a lot has changed in 25 years.

High Level Plan
Look at all the details. From the start I want to do this one time and not have to do it again. That would be the perfect world. But life would be boring if everything went perfectly.
With that said currently looking at the following: hybrid T5/LED, Triton method but maybe go to Geovit, UV, if going Geovit no UV because it is not recommended. Not sure if it will be needed for Triton method. Apex controller I like the alerts and data that it produces. Also feel that they are the market leader in controllers. All of this is subject to change and time will tell.
I have room for a 60” tank and up to 30” deep. I have been researching for a while and looked at several different manufactures. First looked at Redsea and Waterbox. Like the concept but the cabinets just will not fit in our current furniture design. So I am going to go with different manufacture tank and sump.

Tank
I searched all over for different manufacturers of tanks and these are the ones I came across. I was 80% set on a rimless but still leaving options open.
Reef Savvy - Sent an email about tank build and have not heard back.
Planet Aquariums - Called LFS and waiting for a quote.
SC Aquariums - This is looking promising. They have a rimless but I don’t like the extra support that they have to brace the tank with at the top. While it is rimless there is a 2” strip of glass that goes around the top. Although the price is very attractive and I may go that route.
Crystal Dynamics - Liked them because they were local but the reviews scared me and decided not to even contact them.
Innovated Marine - Just didn’t have the size measurements I wanted.
Visio Aquariums - They had framed tanks at LSF but no rimless on display and never asked to quote rimless.

Sump
I also searched all over for sumps.
Trigger Systems
Bashsea
Synergy Reef
Several others
What it is coming down to is quality and function. I really like Synergy Reef and waiting to talk to them. I like that they have 2 options traditional and Triton method. If I go Triton method I will go with the Synergy Reef sump.

Cabinet
Kitchen was remodeled 5 years ago so going to have my cabinet maker build a custom cabinet. It will have the same finish and doors as our current cabinets.

I will try and post weekly on progress.
Post #2
So I missed up on the measurements. The tank will be 5X2X2. Went with the SCA tank. Couple of reasons: they were local to me so I saved $150 by picking it up. The tank was in stock so I was able to get it last week. It isn’t a true rimless but for the price of $900 I am okay with the eurobrace.

Still waiting for my cabinet guy to finish the stand. Will have the stand on Sunday. The tank is sitting empty in my living room on top of my granite coffee table.

I went with a Synergy sump. I just liked their product. Looked really sturdy and felt like it was a quality product. It is ordered and in production lead time is 4 to 6 weeks. Synergy would only communicate with me through email but once I paid they sent me a note saying they would call me to walk through the plumbing. I guess they get too many calls with people not wanting to buy and takes too much of their time. I almost didn’t go this route but they were able to answer my questions through email. I personally would rather been able to talk to somoeone.

While I am in this waiting game I also purchased 2 JBJ 10 gallon tanks for QT. In the process of setting them up and once cycled will get a pair of clowns to QT and keep in the QT tank while waiting for the DT to completly cycle.

Just setup RODI from BRS went with a 7 stage and a TDS monitor. I like it easy to use and produces 0 TDS water.

OP
OP

3dogsandreefing

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Post #2
So I missed up on the measurements. The tank will be 5X2X2. Went with the SCA tank. Couple of reasons: they were local to me so I saved $150 by picking it up. The tank was in stock so I was able to get it last week. It isn’t a true rimless but for the price of $900 I am okay with the eurobrace.

Still waiting for my cabinet guy to finish the stand. Will have the stand on Sunday. The tank is sitting empty in my living room on top of my granite coffee table.

I went with a Synergy sump. I just liked their product. Looked really sturdy and felt like it was a quality product. It is ordered and in production lead time is 4 to 6 weeks. Synergy would only communicate with me through email but once I paid they sent me a note saying they would call me to walk through the plumbing. I guess they get too many calls with people not wanting to buy and takes too much of their time. I almost didn’t go this route but they were able to answer my questions through email. I personally would rather been able to talk to somoeone.

While I am in this waiting game I also purchased 2 JBJ 10 gallon tanks for QT. In the process of setting them up and once cycled will get a pair of clowns to QT and keep in the QT tank while waiting for the DT to completly cycle.

Just setup RODI from BRS went with a 7 stage and a TDS monitor. I like it easy to use and produces 0 TDS water.
Post #3
The photos are crap but I hope you get the picture.

Cabinet is in and the tank is mounted. Bought a 48" Hybrid Aquatic Life fixture. Need direction on T5 bulbs. Also plan to add LED's need thoughts on that also.

Need direction on return pumps. Plan to running 2 return pumps. Looking at the Varios and Vectra. Still on the fence but leaning towards Varios.

Purchased and received 2 MP 40's for flow.

The Synergy Reef sump and ATO container is in it's final build stage so hope to have the sump in 2 weeks.

Went with a GHL controller. That should also be here next week.

The dry rock has been in the Brute for 3 weeks now and it is curing. I also setup 2 QT tanks. Going to do the TTM for new fish. I actually have 2 clowns in one of the QT tanks. They have been there for 2 weeks and will keep them in QT for another 60 days or so. Will move them to the DT when it is completely cycled. They could and can be in the QT longer if the DT takes longer to cycle. I am not in a big hurry.

That is the update once I get the plumbing done and water in the tank in the next 2 weeks I will post another update.

001.JPG
002.JPG
006.JPG

Tom Stevens

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks good. I have a T5 hybrid and went with 2 ati blue plus, actinic and ati coral plus. Using G4 XR15 Pros running AB+. I have another actinic to swap with coral Plus if I want more blu. I hope this helps your light selection.

OP
OP

3dogsandreefing

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks good. I have a T5 hybrid and went with 2 ati blue plus, actinic and ati coral plus. Using G4 XR15 Pros running AB+. I have another actinic to swap with coral Plus if I want more blu. I hope this helps your light selection.
Thanks for the response. I will look into those lights. Also following your build.

OP
OP

3dogsandreefing

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Post #3
The photos are crap but I hope you get the picture.

Cabinet is in and the tank is mounted. Bought a 48" Hybrid Aquatic Life fixture. Need direction on T5 bulbs. Also plan to add LED's need thoughts on that also.

Need direction on return pumps. Plan to running 2 return pumps. Looking at the Varios and Vectra. Still on the fence but leaning towards Varios.

Purchased and received 2 MP 40's for flow.

The Synergy Reef sump and ATO container is in it's final build stage so hope to have the sump in 2 weeks.

Went with a GHL controller. That should also be here next week.

The dry rock has been in the Brute for 3 weeks now and it is curing. I also setup 2 QT tanks. Going to do the TTM for new fish. I actually have 2 clowns in one of the QT tanks. They have been there for 2 weeks and will keep them in QT for another 60 days or so. Will move them to the DT when it is completely cycled. They could and can be in the QT longer if the DT takes longer to cycle. I am not in a big hurry.

That is the update once I get the plumbing done and water in the tank in the next 2 weeks I will post another update.

001.JPG
002.JPG
006.JPG
Post #4
Okay it's been almost 2 months and I finally have water in the tank. This hobby is about patience and I am trying. Added a dedicated 20 amp circuit for just the tank. Also going to put in a transfer switch and portable generator. I live in SoCal and we don't usually have power outages but I am not taking any chances.

Plumbing
I went a little overkill with the UV sterilizer. But I think I like it. Hard plumbing was an experience but got it figured out.

Lighting
Went with 3 Kessil 360X's and T5 - 2 True Actinic and 2 Blue Plus

Should have first 2 fish in tank in 10 days. They have been in QT for the last 3 months.

Next steps will be Carbon\GFO reactor and looking at a Refugium.

IMG_1858.JPG IMG_1902.JPG IMG_1940.JPG IMG_1946.JPG

Attachments

• IMG_1945.MOV
    38.4 MB

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 36 31.3%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 24.3%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 18.3%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 26.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back