New build 90Gal, What size Sump?

Marine2149

Active Member
View Badges
Joined
Jul 2, 2020
Messages
131
Reaction score
85
Location
Phoenix
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I broke down my 90 gallon Aqueon that was only house a pair of sevrums and tetras. Kinda of a waste.

Looking to make my own Sump. What size should I get for a 90 gallon.

I'm looking to buy an eshopp pf800 which does 800gph. Should I go for the 1000? Or is 800 good enough.

Thanks for the replies guys. This is exciting.
IMG_20220408_073628.jpg
 
So I broke down my 90 gallon Aqueon that was only house a pair of sevrums and tetras. Kinda of a waste.

Looking to make my own Sump. What size should I get for a 90 gallon.

I'm looking to buy an eshopp pf800 which does 800gph. Should I go for the 1000? Or is 800 good enough.

Thanks for the replies guys. This is exciting.
IMG_20220408_073628.jpg
40 breeder or 65g
55 gal may be a tight fit
 
Go with the largest sump you can fit in your stand. Make sure you can get the skimmer in and out with whatever sump you pick. That said, a nice sump for that 90 would be a 40B.

As far as the return pump, you don't want to exceed the capacity of the overflow, taking into account head loss. If you do an uncontrollable pump that's too big, you could always install a valve to moderate the flow. If it were me, I'd go for a controllable DC pump. On my 90 I use a Waveline DC6000 Pump (no longer made) which is a controllable DC pump.
 
So I was only able to fit a 24 gallon under my stand.

It's an AIO tank and was thinking of using this. Anyone know of any issue I might run into. The baffels in the back look like they can handle a large enough volume and even if it starts to overflow I can just get a valve and adjust until I find the right amount of volume.

Anyone done this before.
IMG_20220411_025901.jpg
IMG_20220411_025849.jpg
 
The only issues i see are the small footprint, looks like 24", will make things cramped. I'd pull that tank and maybe keep as a QT or sell it and go with a 30g long, it has a 36"x12" footprint and is either 12" or 16" tall. You want to stick with a short tank for ease of maintenance. it will still leave you room in your stand for a topoff container and electrical.
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHICH TYPE OF REEF CONTENT MOST OFTEN GETS YOU TO PARTICIPATE?

  • Daniel's daily polls. They're awesome! 😎

    Votes: 8 30.8%
  • A real troubleshooting problem

    Votes: 9 34.6%
  • Build-thread or tank-update posts

    Votes: 6 23.1%
  • Before-and-after progress photos

    Votes: 3 11.5%
  • Beginner questions

    Votes: 8 30.8%
  • Honest success or failure stories

    Votes: 6 23.1%
  • A post, update, or article from my favorite vendor

    Votes: 5 19.2%
  • Detailed how-to or educational discussions

    Votes: 9 34.6%
  • Tank tours and member showcases

    Votes: 5 19.2%
  • Local events, swaps, or meetups

    Votes: 5 19.2%
  • Other (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 4 15.4%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new