New Build - check my build, flowrate, return pump

Whiskeypete

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Beginning to plan out a 36G bowfront with a 20G High sump (both are AGA).
  • Overflow will be a Glass Holes 700 GPH, left corner area
  • Drilling the back and not the bottom so all plumbing will be up the back, which will mean some additional angles in the line
  • The head height will be right around 5' (custom stand will be higher for better viewing, why keep stooping over?)
  • Approx an additional 1 to 1.5' horizontal return, snaking from the in sump return pump back out then vertical
  • 2 unions, 2 45-degree, 1 swing check valve and 1 90-degree on the return line. This would give me 1 return line on the right side.
  • I am also considered a T on the return line near the top, then two in tank returns
  • My math is showing head loss of ~148gph (just one return inside the tank)
I am leaning towards the Eheim 1262 (900gph at 0ft). Looking at the flow table for this pump at 5ft of head loss, it will come in around the 800gph mark. To much pump? This is where I am getting lost and confused on configuring out this system. I know I can can a short return from the pump back into the sump to handle the excess, rather than trying control the flow with a ball valve which only makes the pump work harder.

The tank will be a mix of SPS, LPS and some softies. Primarily though I want to grow SPS, so I want my tank flow to be in the 10-20 flow range overall. I am planning on a Vortech MP10 in the tank for added flow.

This is the first tank I've drilled, plumbed and done a sump for. My past experience has been with AIO or non-sump systems, which is why I am asking. Better to ask and get answers, than fail and waste money and risk a flood.

I've got some mock ups drawings if it helps I can scan and post.

Making themselves at home: Have you intentionally done anything in your aquarium to enhance the natural behavior of your fish?

• I planned my tank to encourage natural fish behavior.

Votes: 12 26.7%
  • I did some things to encourage natural fish behavior.

Votes: 18 40.0%
  • Anything that encourages natural fish behavior was a byproduct of the aquascaping.

Votes: 10 22.2%
  • I did not do anything to encourage natural fish behavior.

Votes: 4 8.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 2.2%
Back