Votes: 2 25.0%

• Total voters

Darksidereefer

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I've been in this hobby for about 5 years now and have had terrible success. That's due to my own stupidity. Rushing here. Cut a corner there, buy this equipment to fix my problems, waste a ton of money(my rice points out that one)... blah blah blah. So why is this time going to be different?

1. I didn't settle and got what i really wanted... red sea reefer 750xxl. Picked up last night. I'm so excited(pointer sisters tune just popped in my head. Hopefully now it's in yours)

2. Patience. As a father of two girls I've had to learn patience.

3. Respect. Everything i put into this is alive and with that deserves my respect. I'm looking to provide the best environment that i can.

4. Support. I'm reaching out and talking to any and everyone that reefs. Successes, failures it's all valuable info.

5. No more stupid impulse buys... well maybe a few i mean some fish or corals are to good to pass up here am I right?

6. I am getting the family involved. Yes it's my passion but I want to share it with them. From fish and coral selection to maintenance. Especially my wife. I put a ring on it(10 years ago) so i can hope.

7. This forum. I've never really been active but that will change. Please follow along on this journey.

8. Consistency. Getting on a schedule to do what's needed. Yes life happens but I will have a responsibility to this tank and it's inhabitants.

From water changes, to filter cleaning its all about a schedule.

9. Growing the hobby. I love it and want to get others involved. Maybe that's through here, or another platform, or maybe when someone comes by to see my tank... who knows!

10. Enjoyment. That's what i want to do. Just enjoy the process, and results.

So if you'd like to chime in feel free. I will be updating weekly. If you took the time to read this thank you, if you didn't i still wish you success.

"Consume you, it will." The dark side of the force. #myreefaddiction
IMG_20190327_214717_236.jpg
20190327_203748.jpg

JFD

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Great stuff... will be following and good luck!

I think it will help if you follow your own 10 points. And yes I can confirm father of 2 girls and with 3 women at home you need patience and a LOT! [emoji23][emoji23]

Mastiffsrule

Where ever you go, there you are, so be nice 2 you
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There is nothing more appealing to a tank in a box. Possibilities are endless. Like a kids in a candy store.

Keep us updated

OP
OP
Darksidereefer

Darksidereefer

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
One of these things is not like the other... who in their right mind would say ehhh it's the right piece but the wrong color just let me put put in the box. So of course i put the thing on thinking it would be in the back... wrong, wrong, wrong. Let's see how long it takes to get the right one. build on hold.

Womp womp!

20190328_210546.jpg

OP
OP
Darksidereefer

Darksidereefer

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Great stuff... will be following and good luck!

I think it will help if you follow your own 10 points. And yes I can confirm father of 2 girls and with 3 women at home you need patience and a LOT! [emoji23][emoji23]
This is my happy place. My youngest actually helped build. I'm pulling her in slowly.

20190328_182753.jpg

OP
OP
Darksidereefer

Darksidereefer

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Note to everyone that gets one of these. For the bottom trim you receive both the white and black H panel as its labeled. So don't freak out like i did and think they screwed up.

Build was easy, especially if i did it. I am typically not the furniture builder(my wife's gonna make me do this from now on... dang) everything's on but the tank. The sumps dang big with plenty of space.

Refugium is a definite on this for nutrient export.

Equipment to be used

1. Start with the return vectra M1.

2. Flow. Using a combo. Mp 40 and two maxspect gyres. Looking to get the maxspect controller to sync them up.

3. Skimmer. Vertex omega 200i.

4. Coral wifi doser xs 2. Just in case. As the corals i hope to have start to grow some additional elements will be needed.

5. The brains. Will be looking to pick up an apexel.

For salt im going to use brightwell aquatics neomarine

Next update I should have water in it. But first i have to break down my 120 and transfer everything over. Thats not gonna be fun but should be finished next weekend.

WISH ME LUCK

20190329_171257.jpg
20190329_165750.jpg

OP
OP
Darksidereefer

Darksidereefer

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Late night... but i got water in it . Had a few leaks bit that was just due to me not tightening the pipes enough. Once i did it works perfectly. Super easy build, but still have a loin g easy to go.

1. Build complete
2. Added water
3. Added sand
4. Added fritzime 9 to kick off my bacteria
5. Tomorrow fish

No im not rushing for livestock. I reused sand from my original tank. The added bacteria was for precaution recommended by @islandfishandscale.

20190402_003623.jpg
20190401_222333.jpg
20190401_222409.jpg
20190401_144214.jpg
20190401_152042.jpg

OP
OP
Darksidereefer

Darksidereefer

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If your along for the ride "today is a good day" channeling my inner ice cube. Today i mounted my apex, and dosers. Had some help with the calibration and set up but is good to go. Added a few corals. Mainly sps names to follow. But i did add one torch and a reverse superman, pulled some zoas, and an acan from my existing set up.

All measurements were on point today.

Cal 420
Alk was 11.8
PH 8.2
Sal 1.23
Temp at 76.1

So after my first week and first water change things are looking good. As i said consistency is the key to success. Keeping to your schedule and observing what's working, jot down everything so you know when things are working. So as i say Stay reefing my friends.
20190407_112301.jpg
20190407_160617.jpg
20190407_094923.jpg
20190407_160610.jpg
20190407_160650.jpg

20190407_160628.jpg

20190407_160640.jpg

OP
OP
Darksidereefer

Darksidereefer

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Happy holidays folks,

So i just wanted to quickly update where i am 3 weeks in on this build. Everything has been good so far. Parameters are on point.

1.26 sal
11.4 dkh
8.0 ph
Cal 440
Nit 5ppm

Fish list

1. Purple tang(Mase Windu)
2. Blue tang(Luke Skywalker)
3. Flame hawk(Kylo Ren)
4. Harlequin Tusk(Ahsoka Tano)
5. Leapord wrasse xs2(Han and Chewey)
6. Blue throat trigger xs2(Anakin and Padme)
7. Trio of lyretail anthias(new havent named them yet)
8. Flasher wrasse(new no name)
9. Copperband butterfly(new no name)
10. Magnificent foxface(new no name)

Corals

Sps xs 11 names to follow

One rainbow acan

One frogspawn

One reverse superman

One rbta

So this is my list and i will be staying here for awhile. Next addition will be 2 stormtrooper clownfish(Rex and Phasma) is anyone catching a theme here? I also have some darthmaul zoas and porides on the way.

But today marked my third water change. I started this thread talking about consistency, and so far I've been consistent and it's paid off. I'm looking forward to seeing where this tank will go.

"Consume you it will" the darkside of the force. #darksidereefer keep reefing and learning, because if not for the beauty of our tanks why else do we do it?

System is not letting me upload pix. Next time i will post a few.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Darksidereefer

Darksidereefer

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So sometimes you stress over this hobby and others it's a great way to de-stress. I'm experiencing a bit of both at the moment. I realize my tank is not ready for sps, but lps is a go . Most recent additions to the build are a spawning pair of snowflakes. So I'm hoping that it continues and they won be funding all fuerte purchases. As we know this hobby is pricey, so why not let it help you out?

Im loving what's going on so far, finally have my dosers tuned in. This is keeping my numbers on point. Weekly water changes as well. Currently doing 10 percent every week. Next addition will be a comfy seat so i can enjoy this build and watch it grow.

Happy reefing my friends.

Darksidereefer signing off.
20190517_175648.jpg
20190517_182704.jpg
20190517_172021.jpg
20190517_175312.jpg
20190517_182722.jpg

20190517_182717.jpg

OP
OP
Darksidereefer

Darksidereefer

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here's some new additions to the tank. All in all everything is going well. All my equipment is doing what it should, parameters are on point and everyone's looking fat and happy.

New/used.. new to me equipment just picked up 2 gyre xf 250 and the upgraded controller. @tankbreakers thanks for the hook up. They are moving some serious water.

Happy reefing everyone. Enjoy memorial day, and remember why we celebrate it.

20190524_152049.jpg

20190524_152052.jpg

20190524_152056.jpg

20190524_153317.jpg

20190524_153328.jpg

20190524_152101.jpg

OP
OP
Darksidereefer

Darksidereefer

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Happy holidays folks,

Quick update coming up. So the tank is about 8 months old and has definitely led to a few more grey hairs. Luckily though no bald spots

So I've tried being patient but dangit with these real estate it's hard. I've had the luck of having some fellow reefers help out along the way, and trust me without them I'd be losing it.

So the downs... I've lost alot of fish due to an outbreak of something (brook or velvet). Still have a few left over. But my losses included my harlequin tusk(favorite fish), pyramid butterfly pair, 3 gorgeous clowns, 3 anthias, and a flame wrasse.

My corals(or shall I call them swift kicks to the b@!!s) suffered big time but that was water chemistry. I went from high alk of 14 to a proper level of 8.4-8.7. But most notably my phosphates were bananas. 2.41.... yes I know crazy to think things would live in that. But some did. Over the last 3 months I've been working on getting them in check and today BOOM .03 right where you want them.

I started with phosphate E by brightwell aquatics at half the dosage to bring this down to a decent level. I'm now using rowa phos to keep it in check. So let's see where this ride takes me.

Recent equipment additions

1. Ai fuge light

2. 57 watt uv sterilizer(not to cure the inhabitants but to assist with any new outbreaks)

3. 2 little fishies 150 reactor for my rowapsos

Next purchase

1. X18 t5 hybrid 61 inch.

Again thank you for reading if you did. I would again like to say have the happiest of holidays.

Keep reefing my friends, Darkside out!

20191211_153409.jpg 20191211_153416.jpg

OP
OP
Darksidereefer

Darksidereefer

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I'm back with some updates. Still learning every day. As I said when I started this is about learning, patience, and being able to provide the best habitat for my aquatic friends.

So I finally took the jump into SPS. And by jump I meant dive into the deep end. I always wondered how people spend money on these little sticks, well until u started seeing results and growth. Fish are what everyone wants to get, but the coral is what makes you work to keep them going.

What have I learned

1. Don't chase the perfect numbers. Your tank can tell you what's going on.

2. It's all about stability. If things in your tank a aren't like your buddies, don't stress. Just keep your numbers stable(I promise good things will happen).

3. That I still buy on a whim. But I love it.

4. Local reefer are your friends. I've found so many great deals and a wealth of information out there. And guess what, it's at a fraction of the cost of a store. Not all places are shady, but some sell you stuff and could care less of your set up, or husbandry.

5. I love sharing the hobby with my kids. Got my daughter a set up, and it's great seeing her test, and "help" maintain it.

6. Most importantly. It's a waiting game. No discussion pill, no magic serum, just be PATIENT.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 46 16.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 18 6.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 35 12.6%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 159 57.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 19 6.8%
Back