OP
OP
Jarvisffc

Jarvisffc

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Really nice! I think you have space for a refugium but other than that you all set. My only advise is dont rush adding all the fish at once.
Thanks, was considering it for the future for sure

got a firefish for the QT this weekend, want to get some corals in but want to ensure the water quality is ok and I not going to have an algae attack

JaviNap90

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks, was considering it for the future for sure

got a firefish for the QT this weekend, want to get some corals in but want to ensure the water quality is ok and I not going to have an algae attack
thats nice. I was going to recommend a yellow eye tang because they are awesome and they wont stop cleaning the rocks but i think is too early for that one. Just make sure your cleaner crew is ready to attack the algae before it gets the chance to come out.

Tony Thompson

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi @Jarvisffc , hope you enjoy your new reef build. Scape looks nice, is that TMC artificial silica resin Eco Rock?

That Alkalinity reading (5dKH) is very low, I would test again, You really need to maintain ALk around 7 - 8 dKH, or higher especially before you add any stony corals.

The corals you will be buying from the trade are generally maintained above 7 dKH. I don't understand why your Alk is so low in a new tank without any coraline growth. Test your salt mix water for Alk and Calcium before you add it to your tank.

Take a sample of your water to your LFS to test for you.

Best wishes from a fellow UK Reefer.

OP
OP
Jarvisffc

Jarvisffc

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi @Jarvisffc , hope you enjoy your new reef build. Scape looks nice, is that TMC artificial silica resin Eco Rock?

That Alkalinity reading (5dKH) is very low, I would test again, You really need to maintain ALk around 7 - 8 dKH, or higher especially before you add any stony corals.

The corals you will be buying from the trade are generally maintained above 7 dKH. I don't understand why your Alk is so low in a new tank without any coraline growth. Test your salt mix water for Alk and Calcium before you add it to your tank.

Take a sample of your water to your LFS to test for you.

Best wishes from a fellow UK Reefer.
Thank you. Yeah I’m really surprised by the alk level, tested twice now and max reading is 5

is a firefish ok to get for a new QT, was going to get a yellow tang but they seem really rare at the moment

Marsh980

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome, I’m also a new reefer from the UK. Dare I suggest you’re a Toon fan.

My tank is 4.5 months old so not too far ahead of you. The people on this forum are great and so helpful.

IMO, Whoever told you not to dip corals is wrong and be cautious of advice from them going forward.

I also used the TMC eco rock. Great stuff but found it did strange things to my skimmer at the start....

Good luck and happy reefing

OP
OP
Jarvisffc

Jarvisffc

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

My tank is 4.5 months old so not too far ahead of you. The people on this forum are great and so helpful.

IMO, Whoever told you not to dip corals is wrong and be cautious of advice from them going forward.

I also used the TMC eco rock. Great stuff but found it did strange things to my skimmer at the start....

Thanks, my skimmer is all over the place at the moment, bubbling over the top. Think I need to raise it up in the sump?

OP
OP
Jarvisffc

Jarvisffc

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

And no, Fulham for me but do know the Shelvey’s who live near me

Marsh980

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks, my skimmer is all over the place at the moment, bubbling over the top. Think I need to raise it up in the sump?

It took me around a month to get my skimmer right. I even needed to do a 25% Water change to try and help because I think it’s something that leeches out of the artificial rock. I made 3 differing sized (height) crates to sit the skimmer to ensure I had the optimum height.

Tony Thompson

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you. Yeah I’m really surprised by the alk level, tested twice now and max reading is 5

is a firefish ok to get for a new QT, was going to get a yellow tang but they seem really rare at the moment

I would definitely check out why your Alk is so low before going any further with livestock. These animals like stability. Getting your water parameters right first. could save you a lot of trouble down the line.

I have just placed an order for inverts from the wholesalers TMC, I seen that Yellow Tangs (medium) are available at the wholesalers. You could ask your LFS to order you one on there next stock order after you finish QT your firefish.

If you are gradually stocking your tank, its best to start off with the least aggressive (territorial species and work your way up, this way the more timid fish get a chance to settle in without being harassed. No guarantees as these are all animals and can often be unpredictable, but In my opinion it's a good rule of thumb to follow. I also like the idea of isolation boxes to introduce new fish. Again ask your LFS if they sell them.

With regards quarantine, I would suggest you read the articles and posts from @Humblefish , IMO excellent qualified advice, Dr Gerald Bassleer is also an excellent source of information with regards the later stages of quarantine in building back up your fish's immune system before adding to the DT.

Good luck to Fulham, I am a Boro fan so struggling at the bottom at the moment, ;Nailbiting

Best wishes Tony.

OP
OP
Jarvisffc

Jarvisffc

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
the time is now:),just start out w a couple small tester pieces,two com to mind ,sm frags..toadstool/devils finger/hand and lps .candy cane couple heads.."canarys" and hearty ,growth and behavior will tell you when to..bust out that wallet;):cool:
Took your advice, GSP and a Duncan trial

786587CA-1BD5-4DAF-9C7A-D0F81BAC9657.jpeg 62CB9574-AD55-4749-84B0-2CE738E28737.jpeg 4FA4FBA3-27EB-4E6F-9CB0-238E414C6611.jpeg

OP
OP
Jarvisffc

Jarvisffc

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would definitely check out why your Alk is so low before going any further with livestock. These animals like stability. Getting your water parameters right first. could save you a lot of trouble down the line.

I have just placed an order for inverts from the wholesalers TMC, I seen that Yellow Tangs (medium) are available at the wholesalers. You could ask your LFS to order you one on there next stock order after you finish QT your firefish.

If you are gradually stocking your tank, its best to start off with the least aggressive (territorial species and work your way up, this way the more timid fish get a chance to settle in without being harassed. No guarantees as these are all animals and can often be unpredictable, but In my opinion it's a good rule of thumb to follow. I also like the idea of isolation boxes to introduce new fish. Again ask your LFS if they sell them.

With regards quarantine, I would suggest you read the articles and posts from @Humblefish , IMO excellent qualified advice, Dr Gerald Bassleer is also an excellent source of information with regards the later stages of quarantine in building back up your fish's immune system before adding to the DT.

Good luck to Fulham, I am a Boro fan so struggling at the bottom at the moment, ;Nailbiting

Best wishes Tony.
Thanks for the advice, have invested and got running a doser now, firefish into QT today.

Boro will be better off with Colin as manager, won’t be pretty but he knows what’s needed at this level

4C675DBC-3800-442A-ADF2-67343244EA23.jpeg D60318A7-0739-40B4-9F03-351C5E6C0F45.jpeg

Marsh980

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good choices with starter corals and fish. I got clowns first and then orange and purple firefish. They’re skittish fish until they get accustomed to their surroundings.

My first coral was a large purple/green GSP but I have 2 Duncans too, like mini trees.

OP
OP
Jarvisffc

Jarvisffc

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good choices with starter corals and fish. I got clowns first and then orange and purple firefish. They’re skittish fish until they get accustomed to their surroundings.

My first coral was a large purple/green GSP but I have 2 Duncans too, like mini trees.
How long after dipping and then entry to the tank before they properly open up for your Duncan’s please, been a few hours and slowly seeing a couple of tentacles but nothing like in the. LFS

fishguy242

Cronies..... INSERT BUILD THREAD BADGE HERE !!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
time varys ,may open n close kinda for a few days,worsening conditions ,come here rt away ;)

Marsh980

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How long after dipping and then entry to the tank before they properly open up for your Duncan’s please, been a few hours and slowly seeing a couple of tentacles but nothing like in the. LFS

It’s just getting used to your parameters and change in lighting and flow. I can’t remember how long it took, but they’re hardy corals.

Here are my Duncan’s and GSP now. My purpke/green GSP is isolated on an island so it doesn’t take over. The electric green is on a rock ‘foot’ so hopefully will grow up it.

6248A2A1-E884-4716-B98C-34E8BC89F551.jpeg 79D5DE2C-BCA0-43E9-9CB5-9616D5AF0292.jpeg 2359BAC7-9119-4C0B-B2F6-C1A34C6A72D8.jpeg

Clear reef vision: How do you clean the inside of the glass on your aquarium?

• Razor blade

Votes: 145 60.9%
  • Plastic scraper

Votes: 66 27.7%
  • Clean-up crew

Votes: 84 35.3%
  • Magic eraser

Votes: 42 17.6%
  • Other

Votes: 64 26.9%
Back