New Build Help

spirou

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi Everyone. Returning to reefing after about 23 years - a lot has changed! I'm justifying my new aquarium as a (much deserved) Father's day present! Here it goes...

I've decided that I want a Red Sea Reefer XXL 625 with the RSR 900 skimmer. Based on what I've read on various forums, I'm going to opt for 3 Kissel A360 lights rather than the Red Sea 90s. I'm also going to run two Red Sea ReefWave 45s. Any input you have on this set up is welcome!

I also want to run an algae scrubber and a UV sterilizer, but would like your input/experience with brands and models.

I'll run the UV sterilizer on a low volume pump between the skimmer and the return chamber. I'll probably leave the light off while cycling and until some stock is introduced. Thought on this alignment please?

I'm going to manage water additives such as calcium manually until the the tank is well stocked, but will consider reactors if the manual effort it too frequent. Thoughts on reactor brands, particularly Ca are welcome. Do they really reduce your manual maintenance effort?

Lastly, I haven't yet researched pumps, heaters, or heater controllers at all, so any input is welcome here too.

Thank you!

sp1187

bird flu antidote
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
greetings.
you don't need a skimmer if you're running an algae scrubber.
check out Santa Monica Filtration for the scrubber.
I have a SURF4X for my 150g and am very satisfied with it.
return pump, SICCE SYNCRA SDC models.
oh.... and welcome to the show.
:cool:

OP
OP
S

spirou

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
greetings.
you don't need a skimmer if you're running an algae scrubber.
check out Santa Monica Filtration for the scrubber.
I have a SURF4X for my 150g and am very satisfied with it.
return pump, SICCE SYNCRA SDC models.
oh.... and welcome to the show.
:cool:
Don't the skimmer and scrubber do different things? Thought the skimmer was more about macronutrient filtering (food, waste, etc), while scrubbers took care of the chemistry (phosphates, nitrates, etc)?

RobB'z Reef

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Don't the skimmer and scrubber do different things? Thought the skimmer was more about macronutrient filtering (food, waste, etc), while scrubbers took care of the chemistry (phosphates, nitrates, etc)?
They're both mechanisms of nutrient export.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 42 22.0%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 65 34.0%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 62 32.5%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 18 9.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.1%
Back