New Build Help

jarobrew

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am new to the forum and would like some advice on the aquarium size, overflow, sump and pump for a new build. I have been in the hobby with freshwater off and on for over 20 years but now am planning a reef tank. I would like a reef tank that is absolutely safe, not too large, simple, very good aesthetics, and can go 7-10 days without attention. I am thinking of the following:

Aquarium 30x18x18 (42 gallons) – already ordered (drilled)
Eshopps Eclipse M overflow (~700 gph)
Sump - Fiji 20 Advanced Reef Sump (20x15x16)
Return pump - Sicce syncra 3.0 (700 gph)
One return (3/4”)
ATO - Trigger Systems - 5 Gallon (6x14x15)
Probably have glass tops to reduce evaporation

Haven’t gotten to skimmer, lighting, wavemaker, dosing or other remaining items – just trying to get system and plumbing nailed down first.

Some key issues in my mind are:

1. Should I upgrade to the Eclipse L overflow for additional safety (3 drains, bean animal)?
2. Is the sump too small? I am trying to leave room underneath for the ATO reservoir.
3. Skimmer chamber in Fiji sump is 14x8. That seems like enough for a reasonable skimmer.
4. I have read that evap on this size tank/sump should be less than .5 gpd. Does that sound about right?
5. Is it reasonable to try to achieve no attention for 7-10 days?

Thank you so much for any help.

KingTideCorals

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am new to the forum and would like some advice on the aquarium size, overflow, sump and pump for a new build. I have been in the hobby with freshwater off and on for over 20 years but now am planning a reef tank. I would like a reef tank that is absolutely safe, not too large, simple, very good aesthetics, and can go 7-10 days without attention. I am thinking of the following:

Aquarium 30x18x18 (42 gallons) – already ordered (drilled)
Eshopps Eclipse M overflow (~700 gph)
Sump - Fiji 20 Advanced Reef Sump (20x15x16)
Return pump - Sicce syncra 3.0 (700 gph)
One return (3/4”)
ATO - Trigger Systems - 5 Gallon (6x14x15)
Probably have glass tops to reduce evaporation

Haven’t gotten to skimmer, lighting, wavemaker, dosing or other remaining items – just trying to get system and plumbing nailed down first.

Some key issues in my mind are:

1. Should I upgrade to the Eclipse L overflow for additional safety (3 drains, bean animal)?
2. Is the sump too small? I am trying to leave room underneath for the ATO reservoir.
3. Skimmer chamber in Fiji sump is 14x8. That seems like enough for a reasonable skimmer.
4. I have read that evap on this size tank/sump should be less than .5 gpd. Does that sound about right?
5. Is it reasonable to try to achieve no attention for 7-10 days?

Thank you so much for any help.
1. I think whatever overflow you like best and suits your build is the one you should go for.. go for your gut
2. Sump size truly is with in mind all you want add and if you have the room for it. So in essence do you feel you wont add or need more space for the things you plan to add for your sump
3. Seems like a decent size. I run a nano skimmer and I love it so I agree on any skimmer purchase.
4. Sounds about right, having an ATO with a 5-10 Gal reservoir is a great idea to plan for a build
5. Absolutely. You can make things happen and be away from the system just calls for planning and having a stock list that works with your schedule!

Start a build thread! Lets see the beast come alive!

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 14 26.4%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 44 83.0%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 7 13.2%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 4 7.5%
  • Other

Votes: 2 3.8%
Back