New build needs lighting recommendation

MrWellington

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm building out an in-wall 120 gal 48x24x24 coral + utilitarian fish. The lighting itself will be hidden so mounting and appearance aren't as important as the ability to grow a wide range of corals. i.e. good spread, low hot spots, ample PAR at the right depth's, etc.

I was leaning towards a pair of Neptune Sky only because of its integration with Apex, but after further research and you-tubing, I'm wondering if a pair of Radion Xr30 G6's would be a better option.

Thoughts?

CoralB

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It’s a personal preference and there’s a lot of options to choose from . Do your research and see which one best suits your needs and vision for the tank . I went for multiple Radion g5 xr15 blues at the time for a similar size tank as you have the ability to place them where ever you want . With a xr 30 s if one side should ever fail you’ll have to replace the whole unit at twice the cost . That’s my two cents , hope it helps :cool:

nereefpat

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I always have thoughts.

Neptune Sky and XR30s are likely good lights. However, I wouldn't choose any LED light based on in working with a certain controller. Mostly all LED lights, now even some black boxes, have controllers that ramp and dim.

My short list for LEDs on a 4x2x2 would be:
1-2 x 48" Reefbreeders Photons
2-4 Reefi Unos

Enderg60

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Kessils would be worth a look, they can be controlled by the apex with the wifi dongle.

Plus you can mount them using locline so you can aim them exactly how you want them.

minus9

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
If you're considering Radions, then I would look at Reefi Uno Pro's first. With LEDs, you may want to consider mixing styles/types to achieve your preference. I love shimmer and contrast, so Kessil's are my choice in that regard, plus their spectrum is great. I also like Quanta Pro bars for their spectrum and coverage. I think Photons are a great choice too.

OP
OP
M

MrWellington

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you're considering Radions, then I would look at Reefi Uno Pro's first. With LEDs, you may want to consider mixing styles/types to achieve your preference. I love shimmer and contrast, so Kessil's are my choice in that regard, plus their spectrum is great. I also like Quanta Pro bars for their spectrum and coverage. I think Photons are a great choice too.
Thanks! I'm doing some research on Photons and Reefi now. Being a complete newbie, I tend to lean towards "the pack". Perhaps "trendy" isn't a good classifier. :)

FUNGI

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMG_2019.JPG
IMG_1980small.jpg

120g MIXED REEF with Maxspect Razor 300w running at 70%, 12 inchs off top water line

mtraylor

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you like the Radions, I would go with them. I have them on my frag tank and I love the colors they put out. The corals really pop in there with no supplements.

OP
OP
M

MrWellington

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Decided on Reefi. Good reviews, solid fixture, good price. And most importantly, it’s a small business, which Ive always given added weight. Entrepreneurs add Tremendous value, in my opinion.

thanks for the help all.

RedoubtReef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you're not dead set on LED, I'd go with a halide/T5/LED combo. Reefbrite has some great stuff:

zeronum

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am thinking on my 5 foot tank.
Right now I have 4 hydra 32 with t5 hybird. 3 years old give or take. The hydra are starting to go out. So I am thinking about up grading and getting rid of the t5s. I was thinking about doing 2 blades With 2 apex skys. But I am not sure if the blade mount will allow a sky to fix in between.
I like the looks of the 60 inch on each side of the led light. Please if you have any suggestion.

Keeping it clean: Have you used a filter roller?

• I currently use a filter roller.

Votes: 42 30.7%
  • I don’t currently use a filter roller, but I have in the past.

Votes: 5 3.6%
  • I have never used a filter roller, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 35 25.5%
  • I have never used a filter roller and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 49 35.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 4.4%
Back