New Build RedSea Reefer XL 425

gc92

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
After a 5 year hiatus from the hobby having previously owned a 250L reef, I have decided dive right back in with the RedSea reefer XL 425

still trying to fine tune the equipment list, but this is where I am so far

2 x redsea 160s
redsea RSK-600 protein skimmer
2 x redsea reefwave 25s
Reef octopus vario s4 return pump
80lb live sand
40kg real reef rock
Neptune apex
neptune trident
Neptune dos
300w dd heater
dr Tim’s one & only nitrifying bacteria

things I’m still considering:

To replace the Neptune dos for the redsea dosing pump as its less money and you get another 2 dosing pumps, just not sure as it doesn’t link to apex?

a refugium light for the sump - would a refugium within a sump actually do anything meaningful? Would have thought they would need to be much larger to have any affects?

bio balls within sump?
frag rack within sump?
replace filter socks with ClarI-sea fleece filter?
fluidised reactors?
uv light? would this kill copepods?

fish wish list:
2 percela clowns
red bta
purple tangs
gem tang
Achilles tang (not sure tank is big enough)
fire angel
2 mandarins
cleaner shrimp
coral banded shrimp

corals
sps dominated with a corner of euphylias

any advice as I start my journey will be greatly received!

blaxsun

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The Red Sea ReefDose noes not interface with the Apex, no. If you want Trident-controlled dosing (kind of a nice feature) you need the Neptune DOS. You can always look at both: DOS for a 2-part dosing solution and the ReefDose for something like Trace colors ABCD, etc.

Some reefers really like refugiums, as they essentially operated for free once they get going. But they can be messy, you need a grow light (which can cause algae to grow elsewhere as well) and they do require more maintenance. I personally like Zeovit and bio blocks and spheres.

Yes, you can certainly setup a frag system in your sump - but again, the additional light can cause algae growth elsewhere. And yes, you can certainly replace the stock filter socks for a filter roll system (you do have to permanently remove the filter sock trays and make some modifications there).

I personally recommend a UV for a variety of reasons, and yes - this will have a slight impact on the growth of some organisms in the tank (but it won't completely sterilize it).

In terms of fish, I'd start with one very small tang and see how it goes. They grow fast and within a few years you have a 5-6" fish sailing around... For angels, stick with dwarfs and pick one (2 are probably going to have too much conflict). For mandarins you'll need a good copepod population or get them on frozen - otherwise they'll starve.

A cleanup crew is very important, and should include a mix of hermit crabs (blue and scarlet) and snails (trochus, turbo, spiny astrea and nassarius). You can also look at a tuxedo urchin, conch, etc. once the tank is a bit more established. Good luck!

craftsman1983

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
After a 5 year hiatus from the hobby having previously owned a 250L reef, I have decided dive right back in with the RedSea reefer XL 425

still trying to fine tune the equipment list, but this is where I am so far

2 x redsea 160s
redsea RSK-600 protein skimmer
2 x redsea reefwave 25s
Reef octopus vario s4 return pump
80lb live sand
40kg real reef rock
Neptune apex
neptune trident
Neptune dos
300w dd heater
dr Tim’s one & only nitrifying bacteria

things I’m still considering:

To replace the Neptune dos for the redsea dosing pump as its less money and you get another 2 dosing pumps, just not sure as it doesn’t link to apex?

a refugium light for the sump - would a refugium within a sump actually do anything meaningful? Would have thought they would need to be much larger to have any affects?

bio balls within sump?
frag rack within sump?
replace filter socks with ClarI-sea fleece filter?
fluidised reactors?
uv light? would this kill copepods?

fish wish list:
2 percela clowns
red bta
purple tangs
gem tang
Achilles tang (not sure tank is big enough)
fire angel
2 mandarins
cleaner shrimp
coral banded shrimp

corals
sps dominated with a corner of euphylias

any advice as I start my journey will be greatly received!
Hi. We have very similar expectations and equipment lists. I’m going to hold off on controllers for now but may incorporate the new Red Sea fleece rollers once they debut in March. I plan to order my tank in April. Any updates on your build? From the various LFS I’ve spoken to, they all seem to really stress getting UV sterilizer from the start.

More than just hot air: Is there a Pufferfish in your aquarium?

• There is currently a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 30 17.5%
  • There is not currently a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I have kept one in the past.

Votes: 27 15.8%
  • There has never been a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I plan to keep one in the future.

Votes: 32 18.7%
  • I have no plans to keep a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 74 43.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.7%

Back