New Build

Crystal W

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My husband and I are new to this and on our first 75 gal tank we had problem after problem. We had discussed getting rid of our tank and ended up ordering a new 110 gal and starting fresh. This has been a long and very slow process between sports and everything else. I started off with setting up our water station and in the process had an ich outbreak so set up qt as well. I ordered the RODI unit from Buckeye hydro. We got 2 55 gal drums along with 2 35 gal trash cans and my husband made a stand for the two barrels and I ended up using water heater stands for the trash cans.
IMG_0038.JPG IMG_0039.JPG

onetire

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are the blue barrels not good to use ? I just bought one myself .

OP
OP
Crystal W

Crystal W

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When we first started we were told by so many people that we didn't need to qt anything. After loosing everything more than once and now looking at another ich outbreak we decided to qt everything. Talked to several people and read a little more on it. I completely emptied our 75 gal of everything except fish and put them in qt for 76 days.

IMG_0057.JPG

IMG_0085.JPG

Joshua Telles

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A lot of people really like the tank to tank method as well for disease prevention you might want to check that out too.

Urbanknight

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I can't imagine why anyone would have told you not to QT. If you regularly read this and other forums, there is always some singing the blues because they failed to QT. No matter, IMHO you have chosen the right path. You invest too much in livestock for your DT to just throw something in there on the chance that it will not wipe out everything! I'm with you I QT everything before it goes into my DT. Even cleanup crews! OK...so I'm extreme. That's nothing. I'm trying to figure out how to QT water!! :)

JaimeAdams

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks like you are off to a good start!

I hate when some less than stellar LFS tell people that they don't have to QT or dip corals or whatever the bad advice is. I meet a ton of people all the time that have gotten bad advice that cost them time and money, more times than not a lot of both.

I'm glad that you are still in the hobby and doing things correctly this time around. I'm looking forward to following.

KJ

Lone Wolf
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice job:)

Maritimer

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The tanks are lookin' pretty sweet!

Like you, I learned the QT lesson the hard way. I'm still learning, but at least now when I run across some disease (or it runs over me...) it's in a situation where it can be treated, and it doesn't threaten to wipe me out completely.

This tank is going to be different from your last one, I can feel it.

~Bruce

OP
OP
Crystal W

Crystal W

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wanted the outside cabinetry to match the decor of the house, yet be easily assessable to work on the underneath. I designed the outside of the stand and my husband made it with each section attached by magnets so I could take each piece off as needed. The canopy needed a little something,so I had him frame chicken wire and center it on the canopy.

IMG_0077.JPG

IMG_0076.JPG

OP
OP
Crystal W

Crystal W

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I used a few pieces of live rock I had and 50lbs of dry rock from Marco along with their cement to hold rocks together.

IMG_0067.JPG

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 42 22.0%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 65 34.0%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 62 32.5%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 18 9.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.1%
Back