New carpenter wrasse and yellow nose gony qt help?

nanomania

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just got them today, and have acclimated them to my qt. Id like to know what meds doni add? As i guess wrasses cannot tolerate cp or high levels of copper nor metro. Iv not fed them anything yet. Should ibstart with frozen mysus and lobster eggs soaked in seachem reef plus?

melypr1985

totally addicted
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can feed them frozen mysis soaked in vitamins.

Wrasses are fine in copper and with metroplex. Raise the levels of copper slowly like you would with any other fish. I would just plan on copper and prazipro for now and keep the rest on hold unless it's needed.

OP
OP
nanomania

nanomania

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can feed them frozen mysis soaked in vitamins.

Wrasses are fine in copper and with metroplex. Raise the levels of copper slowly like you would with any other fish. I would just plan on copper and prazipro for now and keep the rest on hold unless it's needed.
The wrasse is hiding in the pvc pipe, i just fed frozen lobster eggs, and the goby readily ate. Do carpenter wrasses hide all the time? Its hasnt eaten though.

So prazipro would be ok to dose right? Wont harm the wrasse?

OP
OP
nanomania

nanomania

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Some pics
01f19e0fbb3d0b885897af47ce0519f3.jpg
d5b8ad880a9ccf31c434a2f5bb6a4531.jpg
e7a37894f37cd8a62435beada96152a8.jpg
386d07b875ae890d6dfc5ac9cb8ef4bc.jpg

melypr1985

totally addicted
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Prazipro will be fine. The wrasse should come out after a few days of settling in.

ngoodermuth

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It might be good to give the wrasse just a couple of days to settle in and start eating, and then dose the PraziPro.

Maritimer

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wrasse are pretty smart fish, and as such seem to like to _really_ make sure the coast is clear before exposing themselves. I'd expect to see him out tomorrow.

I'm seeing a _lot_ of dorsal filaments, and what looks like a deeply forked tail - you may very well have a blue flasher, rather than a Carpenter's. (Care is just about the same...)

~Bruce

OP
OP
nanomania

nanomania

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wrasse are pretty smart fish, and as such seem to like to _really_ make sure the coast is clear before exposing themselves. I'd expect to see him out tomorrow.

I'm seeing a _lot_ of dorsal filaments, and what looks like a deeply forked tail - you may very well have a blue flasher, rather than a Carpenter's. (Care is just about the same...)

~Bruce
When i was i was acclimating it, i saw 2white marks (not ich) at the top of its eyes. Flasher wrasses look so similar.

Maritimer

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Both fish look to be in pretty good shape to me ... and that's a blue flasher (Paracheilinus cyaneus) for certain. Look up some images of those guys "lit up" - if you can take the anticipation levels! They can get pretty spectacular, if only for a few moments.

~Bruce

OP
OP
nanomania

nanomania

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Both fish look to be in pretty good shape to me ... and that's a blue flasher (Paracheilinus cyaneus) for certain. Look up some images of those guys "lit up" - if you can take the anticipation levels! They can get pretty spectacular, if only for a few moments.

~Bruce
Thanks buddy. The flasher started eating hikari marine s today.. :) its pretty fast. Yea they look healthy to me. Gona start giving them frozen food mixed with seachem focus and api genetal cure (prazi with metro).

OP
OP
nanomania

nanomania

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi guys, its been more then a week, and no signs of bacterial infections or velvet or ich. I fed them frozen soaked with metro prazi and focus. They dont like it much, but they do eat a bit. However if the food is non medicated, they eat it readily. No signs of stress no nothing. They come out when i turn kn the lights as they know its feesing time. What u guys suggest? Does it still need to be medicated with copper?

Another thing id like to know is the yellow nose goby is like an inch in size, will it be bullied when i transfer it to 130g? Seems to be pretty bold in front of flasher. lol

Maritimer

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If the vendor you got them from kept them in sub-therapeutic copper levels, ich or velvet could remain hidden for three weeks or so before it gets ramped up to the point where you can spot it. I'd recommend at least holding for further observation.

Whether the yellow-nose will be bullied depends on who he's sharing the tank with. If there aren't any predatory fish or other sand-dwellers, he'll likely be left alone - though he may feel somewhat stressed by non-predatory fish (tangs, for instance) that are significantly larger than he is.

~Bruce

OP
OP
nanomania

nanomania

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If the vendor you got them from kept them in sub-therapeutic copper levels, ich or velvet could remain hidden for three weeks or so before it gets ramped up to the point where you can spot it. I'd recommend at least holding for further observation.

Whether the yellow-nose will be bullied depends on who he's sharing the tank with. If there aren't any predatory fish or other sand-dwellers, he'll likely be left alone - though he may feel somewhat stressed by non-predatory fish (tangs, for instance) that are significantly larger than he is.

~Bruce
Ok, then will hold it for few more weeks. I have a ywg, 2oc clowns, 1 fire goby and a small acanthurus approx 2.5-3"

Going off the ledge: Would you be interested in a drop off aquarium?

• I currently have a drop off style aquarium

Votes: 2 1.2%
  • I don’t currently have a drop off style aquarium, but I have in the past.

Votes: 3 1.8%
  • I haven’t had a drop off style aquarium, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 26 15.4%
  • I am interested in a drop off style aquarium, but have no plans to add one in the future.

Votes: 82 48.5%
  • I am not interested in a drop off style aquarium.

Votes: 52 30.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.4%
Back