New Christmas Wrasse in QT without sand...how will this affect him?

livinlifeinBKK

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I bought a Christmas Wrasse today and put him in a QT tank with some live rock (I don't medicate during my QT sessions) to make sure he's acting normal and to get him eating what I wanna feed him. However, there's no sand in my QT and I know that's important for wrasses. Will it affect him being willing to eat? What should I do? The shop owner said he just feeds artemia pellets which the wrasse eats off the sand. If he's not going to be willing to eat off the bare bottom, it might be better to put him directly into the DT.

Seymo44

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Following along, as I am going to be buying the same fish soon.

I have heard recommendations of putting a Tupperware dish of sand in the QT with the fish. But let’s see what others recommend.

OP
OP
livinlifeinBKK

livinlifeinBKK

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Following along, as I am going to be buying the same fish soon.

I have heard recommendations of putting a Tupperware dish of sand in the QT with the fish. But let’s see what others recommend.
My only concern with putting him directly into the DT is that I want to be positive he's eating well and it can be hard to tell with so many hiding places and other fish

Jmcg89

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I QT my melanarus wrasse and took a goodsized glass like Pyrex Tupperware container and just filled that with sand and put that in Qt.
He would sleep in it and dive in when ever he got scared so I would definitely use it again.
But at the same time he was in a bare bottom tank when I bought him.
I just feel like anything you can do to minimize stress is worth it.
I was doing ttm and just used new sand and dish everytime.

SaltyT

Wrasse obsessed!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There are several wrasses that are called "christmas" most of them do require sand. I would recommend adding a container of sand to your QT for its well-being. Wrasses that instinctively bury into the sand to sleep or when stressed can damage their mouth trying to bury into the glass bottom if there is no sand for them to retreat to.

OP
OP
livinlifeinBKK

livinlifeinBKK

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I
There are several wrasses that are called "christmas" most of them do require sand. I would recommend adding a container of sand to your QT for its well-being. Wrasses that instinctively bury into the sand to sleep or when stressed can damage their mouth trying to bury into the glass bottom if there is no sand for them to retreat to.
Just added a Tupperware of sand

OP
OP
livinlifeinBKK

livinlifeinBKK

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I added the sand I. The Tupperware but he hasn't found it yet...he's laying on his side on the bottom (the tank is dark because it's nighttime here) but is that normal since he hasn't found the sand yet?

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 45 41.3%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 23 21.1%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 38 34.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.8%
Back