New clam at lfs

Yuki Rihwa

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A bunch of clams just arrived at lfs and 1 of them caught my eyes but I'm not sure about the mantle, look damage or pinched
1507337485324-101497100.jpg

Any suggestions?

OP
OP
Yuki Rihwa

Yuki Rihwa

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Could possibly be wild caught. The survival rate on those is very poor.
Yep, you're right! These clams are wild caught.
The one in the picture it's look best in the batch, my previous Maxima I bought from this LFS was a wild caught one too :)
The new clams response to the light very well, the only thing concerned me is that some part of the mantle (outer rim) is shrunk and discolor compare to other part of its mantle.
These just arrived pretty much 2 days ago (Wed). I might come back tomorrow around noon and check it out again, also these clams were on Radian XR30 LED (30 inches above tank and these clams are 3~4 inches below water line.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Yuki Rihwa

Yuki Rihwa

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh, I also found another LFS that loaded with Derasa Clams (small 2~3 inches) but they are all in similar color shade :( look similar to the picture below in term of color shade
12045mg_Derassa.jpg

they are either a bit darker or a bit whiter to each other.

Tommy's Reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The claims just not opened all the way could be due to new environment. Hard to tell with that picture though. Pretty claim though.
I'd get it.
They light blue are one of the prettier colors to me

saltyfilmfolks

Lights! Camera! Reef!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh, I also found another LFS that loaded with Derasa Clams (small 2~3 inches) but they are all in similar color shade :( look similar to the picture below in term of color shade
12045mg_Derassa.jpg

they are either a bit darker or a bit whiter to each other.
Aren't you going to the palooza tomorrow?
Lol

Where are those derasas?
I just picked up mine with similar color and size. Took about four days under my lights to color up.

But you right. Seeing them for several days or more is best if you can. Mine I looked at for a week and a half. Color was faded brown but everything else was healthy.
Discount!

OP
OP
Yuki Rihwa

Yuki Rihwa

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Aren't you going to the palooza tomorrow?
Lol

Where are those derasas?
I just picked up mine with similar color and size. Took about four days under my lights to color up.

But you right. Seeing them for several days or more is best if you can. Mine I looked at for a week and a half. Color was faded brown but everything else was healthy.
Discount!
About Palooza, I wanted to go but I got some spending habit problem...last Palooza I burned my pocket around 3k on stuff.....TOO MANY GOODS AND HARD TO PASS :p

About those Derasa, they are at Tong Tropical Fish Store in Fountain Valey, they stock them in the frag tank I saw about 6~7 available, I think they sell for 39.99 each.

The new arrival clam I took the picture from SeaSide Tropical Fish Store in Hungtinton Beach you can check it out on your way to Anaheim or your your way back from the event.

saltyfilmfolks

Lights! Camera! Reef!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
About Palooza, I wanted to go but I got some spending habit problem...last Palooza I burned my pocket around 3k on stuff.....TOO MANY GOODS AND HARD TO PASS :p

About those Derasa, they are at Tong Tropical Fish Store in Fountain Valey, they stock them in the frag tank I saw about 6~7 available, I think they sell for 39.99 each.

The new arrival clam I took the picture from SeaSide Tropical Fish Store in Hungtinton Beach you can check it out on your way to Anaheim or your your way back from the event.
Wow. Actually that's a really good price.

I may have to venture up there after the plozza too.

Thanks for the tip!

I'll be at the palooza with my family tomorrow maybe Sunday too. Depends on if I load the cooler on Saturday.

OP
OP
Yuki Rihwa

Yuki Rihwa

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The claims just not opened all the way could be due to new environment. Hard to tell with that picture though. Pretty claim though.
I'd get it.
They light blue are one of the prettier colors to me
It was fully wide opened, its close up because I was place my phone over it to take picture :)

OP
OP
Yuki Rihwa

Yuki Rihwa

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow. Actually that's a really good price.

I may have to venture up there after the plozza too.

Thanks for the tip!

I'll be at the palooza with my family tomorrow maybe Sunday too. Depends on if I load the cooler on Saturday.
Oh, don't buy frag at Tong though.
Seaside Frag tank are cheaper 3x for 30 bucks and the portion a lot bigger but it's just me a newbie in reef world :)

saltyfilmfolks

Lights! Camera! Reef!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh, don't buy frag at Tong though.
Seaside Frag tank are cheaper 3x for 30 bucks and the portion a lot bigger but it's just me a newbie in reef world :)
If you were coming I'd introduce you to my friend, one of the vendors
:eek:

saltyfilmfolks

Lights! Camera! Reef!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Cool! I'll check to see if it's open Sunday

I'll be the long haired old guy looking overwhelmed and coveting the clams.

Tahoe61

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A bunch of clams just arrived at lfs and 1 of them caught my eyes but I'm not sure about the mantle, look damage or pinched
1507337485324-101497100.jpg

Any suggestions?

I would pass on the Maxima in the first image and go for the Derasa if clams are new to you.

DSC reef

Coral wasted
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'll come back next week, they all look odd and bleaching. Thanks DSS reef!
Just remember yuki, no matter how pretty a clam is if you suspect a disease or anything wrong like pinched mantle it can spread to your other clams and wipe out out your collection. That's a horrible feeling my friend.

OP
OP
Yuki Rihwa

Yuki Rihwa

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just remember yuki, no matter how pretty a clam is if you suspect a disease or anything wrong like pinched mantle it can spread to your other clams and wipe out out your collection. That's a horrible feeling my friend.
Very true :) Thanks
I'll watch it for few more weeks, if it does carry disease its probably gone by that time right?

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 43 41.7%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 22 21.4%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 35 34.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.9%
Back