New clam

alan j t

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just got anew clam,my tanks year old this month. Got it from your reef.
Can you point me in the right direction on how to care for my new tank mate? What kind of clam is it ?
IMG_20160924_1202173_rewind.jpg

Tahoe61

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks like a Maxima, could be a Crocea but based on that image I am thinking Maxima.
Mod flow, intense lighting (acclimate it to lighting). As a clam grows they utilize elements, you'll have to make sure your calcium stays 350-450 and alk 7-12 dkh. No feedings are necessary but the clam may benefit from the addition of phytoplankton, I however never noticed any difference. Tridacna tolerate more nutrient rich water and even utilize some DOC, but their primary means of nutrition is the production of carbohydrates by zooxanthellae.
Do not place the clam in the rock work where the clam can fall, make sure the clam has a solid foundation on which to attach

OP
OP
alan j t

alan j t

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Great, sounds good, i will attach another pic after I clean the glass n what not, to get a better image to I'd the little guy
So you think I should put a small flat rock under the clam? So to attach.
I have a calcium test,time to get other tests kits aswell.

Tahoe61

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Larger clams may not attach, that one looks mid size, you could place a flat stone under it. And yes you're definitely going to have to start testing if you want to keep clams long term.

OP
OP
alan j t

alan j t

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Should I be worried about the clams tank mates . Any fish eat clams or other inverts?

Elementalj

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've never seen anything other than angels picking at clams, but I'd still keep an eye out. Make sure you've placed it on a flat surface and not in the rock work. An once the byssal strands attach to something, you should never cut or tear those fibers, its usually a slow and uneasy demise once they're gone.

4FordFamily

Tang, Angel, and Wrasse Nerd!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Maxima. I've had a filefish and a purple tang pick on clans in addition to the occasional angel. The purple tang was a serious rarity

DeniseAndy

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Depending on size of clam, you want to handle special. If it is a maxima and under 3 or 4", then you want to place on sand or special cup for clams and leave it. Do not move it, touch it, poke it, look at it funny, or say anything that might upset it.
They do like feeding under 4" and even over that. Light is very important and so is calcium/magnesium. These guys use a lot when growing.
If you have a sandbed or rock (which I am sure you have at least one), blow off every three days or so and let the clam snack on that. They like that.
Good luck!

UNCFAN

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've had my Maxima for one day and so far she has not attached to the rock or opened up - just barely sticking her mantle out. My water parameters look good and the flow is not strong on her. I put her about mid way up the tank under one of my ecotech LED fixtures. She is responsive to my blocking the light on her - she completely shuts her shell. I am hoping that she is just adjusting to her new home. My tank is a 125 so mid way up would be about 9 inches off the sand bed and about 18" below the LED.

DeniseAndy

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have never used LEDs on clams, so no idea on the light. I know others do without issue. If she is getting enough light, make sure it is not being bumped regularly. Even gentle sways back and forth can bother these guys when acclimating and growing.

Elementalj

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've had my Maxima for one day and so far she has not attached to the rock or opened up - just barely sticking her mantle out. My water parameters look good and the flow is not strong on her. I put her about mid way up the tank under one of my ecotech LED fixtures. She is responsive to my blocking the light on her - she completely shuts her shell. I am hoping that she is just adjusting to her new home. My tank is a 125 so mid way up would be about 9 inches off the sand bed and about 18" below the LED.

I'd say they usually fare better on something flat and on the sand bed. I've kept them for a while. Ended up selling the three that remained when I shut the big tank down. Actually thrived under t5 and a halide for two hours daily. I'm weary of them being in the rock face, simply because they're more vulnerable to accidental tips and critters that may be interested in a snack.

Just don't tear fibers.

UNCFAN

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the feedback - my wife is a little nervous with the clam on the rock as well. If she does not attach soon I will move her to the sand bed. I have an old sea shell she can sit on and attach her foot the shell.

Elementalj

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Remember the mantle is their main source of energy production. Directly flat and under the light on a teacup works wonders. If your calcium and alkalinity are within spec, they could grow extra segments in a very short while. Keep us posted, while I have clam envy!

DeniseAndy

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I miss my clams. I have raised them for over 9 years. I just lost my big one to a xxxxxxxx snail. It was suppose to be reef safe. Don't believe it! Red Footed Conchs are not. Ate two clams. One was very stressed, so I did not realize. Thought it was scavenging.

I only ever lost baby clams to me going on vacation for weeks at a time. Don't do that either. :)

Keeping it clean: Have you used a filter roller?

• I currently use a filter roller.

Votes: 40 30.8%
  • I don’t currently use a filter roller, but I have in the past.

Votes: 4 3.1%
  • I have never used a filter roller, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 34 26.2%
  • I have never used a filter roller and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 47 36.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 3.8%
Back