Identification of snails on large clams!!

nmds9

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey all, I wonder what kind of creature this is and if it will hurt my giant clam.
微信图片_20240410132713.jpg
Untitled ‑ Made with FlexClip.gif

OrionN

Anemones
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't know what this is.
With that said, usually when thing wave around in the reef tank, it is out there to collect something. Light if there is not mouth, and capture food if there is a mouth in the middle of it. I would watch how the clam mantle reacts to it and how fast it multiplies to decide what to do.
If it multiply very fast, I would remove it before it has a chance to take over.
If the mantle prolong retracts when it touches these tentacles, I will consider eradicate it from the tank.

djf91

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You’ve seen it move or is it stationary? Looks like a small bivalve to me

OP
OP
N

nmds9

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
is it stationary or mobile?
I don’t like it’s attitude :beaming-face-with-smiling-eyes:
It was mobile and nocturnal, and I didn't notice him attacking the clam mantle, perhaps nibbling at the purple algae on the clams. I didn't find any sign of him during the day, anyway I decided to try to remove him at night, thanks guys! But its tentacles are creepy.:anxious-face-with-sweat:

OP
OP
N

nmds9

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't know what this is.
With that said, usually when thing wave around in the reef tank, it is out there to collect something. Light if there is not mouth, and capture food if there is a mouth in the middle of it. I would watch how the clam mantle reacts to it and how fast it multiplies to decide what to do.
If it multiply very fast, I would remove it before it has a chance to take over.
If the mantle prolong retracts when it touches these tentacles, I will consider eradicate it from the tank.
Thanks for the input, I was just thinking of it as an algae eating snail before, now I've decided to eliminate it as it's more intimidating to look at.

ISpeakForTheSeas

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm actually not sure on this one - assuming it is actually a snail, though, my best guess would be a snail from the order Littorinimorpha, most likely from one of two superfamilies:

-Cypraeoidea (Cowries and allies)
-Tonnoidea

Close-up, clear pics of the shell from the top, sides, and bottom would help with saying for sure though.

Also, OP, welcome to Reef2Reef!

OP
OP
N

nmds9

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm actually not sure on this one - assuming it is actually a snail, though, my best guess would be a snail from the order Littorinimorpha, most likely from one of two superfamilies:

-Cypraeoidea (Cowries and allies)
-Tonnoidea

Close-up, clear pics of the shell from the top, sides, and bottom would help with saying for sure though.

Also, OP, welcome to Reef2Reef!
Thanks, also I found this shrimp on my sand, is it safe for my clams?

Last edited:

ISpeakForTheSeas

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks, also I found this shrimp on my sand, is it safe for my clams?

I'm not sure one this one offhand, but I doubt it'll harm your clams.

That said, straight-on pics of the top and sides (preferably against a black background; you can pull the shrimp out of the tank in a container of tank water for closer pics, and if the container is transparent you can hold it up against something black or just use a black container for the pics to get a higher contrast background) would be helpful.

OP
OP
N

nmds9

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm not sure one this one offhand, but I doubt it'll harm your clams.

That said, straight-on pics of the top and sides (preferably against a black background; you can pull the shrimp out of the tank in a container of tank water for closer pics, and if the container is transparent you can hold it up against something black or just use a black container for the pics to get a higher contrast background) would be helpful.
I can't find it anymore. Keeping clams has made me afraid of my own shadow.:dizzy-face:

Bubbles, bubbles, and more bubbles: Do you keep bubble-like corals in your reef?

• I currently have bubble-like corals in my reef.

Votes: 13 34.2%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I have in the past.

Votes: 5 13.2%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 13 34.2%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 6 15.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 2.6%
Back