New Clown Issue?

Riffer58

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello Guys!

Here to run my doubts through you:

Yesterday I picked up a Clown from the LFS near me. I had been going weekly to watch a brown little guy that I liked but ended up getting a regular colored one, which I didn't really had paid attention before for too long. As per arrival I did the floating method and the guy went into my tank and started eating pods and pretty much decimated them through the rest of the day, I also threw in some frozen shrimp which he eat, looking very active and alert.

Went to sleep, turned the light off, but when I woke up this morning, I turned the lights to check on him and saw my temp had dropped from 78 to 76 and he immediately after turning the lights left himself adrift until almost getting caught in the filter return cracks. that worried me so I turned the pump and power head off and then he just sank to the sandbed and stayed there for a while. decided to turn the powerhead and pump back on and he started to swim again after a couple minutes of laying on the sand. threw some shrimp but this time hes not eating them nor going after pods.

Params seem to be right, no Ammonia, Nitrite or Nitrate. I did noticed a spot on one of his white strips, I figure he was bitten by other fish as in the LFS he was living with two cardinals. But when trying to take a picture with the light off, the wound(?) does seem to have a blueish tone to it. Right now hes kind of swiming alright but tilts a little to the side and has not eaten since I/m up checking on him. After checking some threads online I dosed some Prime and also turned one of the return streams all the way up so it will break water surface to try and air the water.

I am attaching pictures and video from when he arrived and the ones I took just now. Help please! IMG_0987.JPEG IMG_0988.JPEG

Attachments

• IMG_0982.MP4
    19.7 MB
  • IMG_0983.MP4
    10.2 MB

Katrina71

Learn, Laugh, Love
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Did the lights just come on in the videos?

OP
OP
Riffer58

Riffer58

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Did the lights just come on in the videos?
Yes just turned them on and he went from the surface to just sink there and stayed there for a while. Now he seems to be swimming more actively but still no eating

Katrina71

Learn, Laugh, Love
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Clowns are not "morning" fish. They tend to wake up slow. None of ours eat first thing either. I'd leave the lights off today and let him chill. Tommorow try feeding in the afternoon.

OP
OP
Riffer58

Riffer58

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Clowns are not "morning" fish. They tend to wake up slow. None of ours eat first thing either. I'd leave the lights off today and let him chill. Tommorow try feeding in the afternoon.
Thanks a bunch he kind of looks fine, can you see the spot on his white strip? could that be a bite from another fish?

Katrina71

Learn, Laugh, Love
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Thanks a bunch he kind of looks fine, can you see the spot on his white strip? could that be a bite from another fish?
I can barely see it. Not sure. May have even been a coral sting.

MichaelReefer

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

+1

Agree. Mine both sleep together and are the last ones awake normally. They are very sluggish in the morning but get a lot more energetic later in the day. I Always feed in the evening when they are more awake.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 148 88.6%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 9 5.4%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 7 4.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 1.8%
Back