New clownfish in quarantine not eating (Is this stringy white poop?)

rhildinger

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I purchased a large pair of captive bred ocellaris clowns from my LFS 3 days ago, and placed them in a 20 gallon quarantine tank. The clowns were part of a huge group of about 20 clowns all swimming together at the LFS. They settled in fairly well but over the past 3 days they've hardly eaten. They don't show signs of heavy stress or physical ailment, but they're very shy and hang together in the back corner of the tank, venturing out only occasionally. I've tried feeding them Rod's fish-only blend as well as NLS Thera+A pellets, but they don't seem very interested in any of it. I haven't witnessed either fish poop, but I did notice the following at the bottom of the tank:

IMG_1308.jpg

Is this the fabled "white stringy poop" inside the red circles?

NOTE:
- All QT tank parameters are good, no issues there
- No medicine has been dosed in the QT tank yet.

I was about to follow Humblefish's prophylactic QT guide and begin with Copper Power, but now I'm wondering if I should just start immediately with Metroplex or General Cure and wait on the Copper Power?

Thanks for any and all advice...

-Robert

JGT

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I purchased a large pair of captive bred ocellaris clowns from my LFS 3 days ago, and placed them in a 20 gallon quarantine tank. The clowns were part of a huge group of about 20 clowns all swimming together at the LFS. They settled in fairly well but over the past 3 days they've hardly eaten. They don't show signs of heavy stress or physical ailment, but they're very shy and hang together in the back corner of the tank, venturing out only occasionally. I've tried feeding them Rod's fish-only blend as well as NLS Thera+A pellets, but they don't seem very interested in any of it. I haven't witnessed either fish poop, but I did notice the following at the bottom of the tank:

IMG_1308.jpg

NOTE:
- All QT tank parameters are good, no issues there
- No medicine has been dosed in the QT tank yet.

I was about to follow Humblefish's prophylactic QT guide and begin with Copper Power, but now I'm wondering if I should just start immediately with Metroplex or General Cure and wait on the Copper Power?

Thanks for any and all advice...

-Robert
Could be but I’d confirm by seeing them poop. I’d try some live brine shrimp or mysis to see if you can get them eating. Then move back to pellets.

Mr. Fishy Fish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I'm no expert, but white poop could be excess mucus from a poor diet. You can't tell if it's an internal worm unless you see it move. That's why it's best to take the feces and observe it under a microscope to be certain you're dealing with internal parasites (worms in this case).

Ingenuity against algae: Do you use DIY methods for controlling nuisance algae?

• I have used DIY methods for controlling algae.

Votes: 40 47.6%
  • I use commercial methods for controlling algae, but never DIY methods.

Votes: 19 22.6%
  • I have not used commercial or DIY methods for controlling algae.

Votes: 19 22.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 7.1%
Back