white stringy poop

saltwaterswiftie

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have two wrasses (tricolor fairy wrasse and yellow coris wrasse) in a 10gal QT that arrived a week ago. My tricolor fairy wrasse had some white stringy poop while observing them (with no medication added to the QT at that point). I treated the tank with two rounds of API general cure given Monday and Wednesday (48hrs apart per the package directions). I noticed the same fish still having white stringy poop. What other medication should I give? I currently have prazi pro, melafix, and copper power.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
I have two wrasses (tricolor fairy wrasse and yellow coris wrasse) in a 10gal QT that arrived a week ago. My tricolor fairy wrasse had some white stringy poop while observing them (with no medication added to the QT at that point). I treated the tank with two rounds of API general cure given Monday and Wednesday (48hrs apart per the package directions). I noticed the same fish still having white stringy poop. What other medication should I give? I currently have prazi pro, melafix, and copper power.
before reacting, Can you please post pics of fish under white lighting?
Are they currently eating? If so - what foods are you feeding. Often, just excess mucus alone will give a pretense that there are internal parasite issue when there is not. Often as myself with my LFS, foods such as brine shrimp and mysis shrimp are fed as they are cheap and great enticers to eat but also fatty. This will cause the poop's consistency which is actually mucus. feeding foods such as New Life Spectrum pellets and TDO pellets is not only a good diet but also doesnt induce mucus feces. You can feed frozen brine shrimp and which acts as sort of laxative to get the mucus buildup moving.

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

API General Cure contains metronidazole and praziquantel and so it is good for a few different mucus feces issues, it may just take a little time to see an improvement.

Jay

OP
OP
saltwaterswiftie

saltwaterswiftie

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Jay Hemdal @vetteguy53081 I am concerned because I started off with three fish but one of them died. I had 3 wrasse in the 10 gallon QT but one of them was being aggressive. To stop the aggression, I moved the aggressive fish (a carpenter flasher wrasse) to a different 10 gallon by himself and he died that night. Maybe something was wrong with the tank though idk

The tricolor fairy wrasse has not really been swimming around the tank that much. He mostly stays in hidding in the PVC pipes I have. It is hard to get him to leave the pipe so I could not get the best pictures. He has been eating a good amount. I have been feeding frozen emerald entree (spirulina, mysis shrimp, and fish oil) and blue zoo aquatics pellets.

He does not have ich, he just kicked some sand up before some of these pictures were taken.

Attachments

• IMG_0731.jpeg
    IMG_0731.jpeg
    92.8 KB · Views: 47
  • IMG_0734.jpeg
    IMG_0734.jpeg
    105.7 KB · Views: 44
  • IMG_0736.jpeg
    IMG_0736.jpeg
    138.3 KB · Views: 51
  • IMG_0738.jpeg
    IMG_0738.jpeg
    124.2 KB · Views: 50
  • IMG_0740.jpeg
    IMG_0740.jpeg
    109.2 KB · Views: 52

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
@Jay Hemdal @vetteguy53081 I am concerned because I started off with three fish but one of them died. I had 3 wrasse in the 10 gallon QT but one of them was being aggressive. To stop the aggression, I moved the aggressive fish (a carpenter flasher wrasse) to a different 10 gallon by himself and he died that night. Maybe something was wrong with the tank though idk

The tricolor fairy wrasse has not really been swimming around the tank that much. He mostly stays in hidding in the PVC pipes I have. It is hard to get him to leave the pipe so I could not get the best pictures. He has been eating a good amount. I have been feeding frozen emerald entree (spirulina, mysis shrimp, and fish oil) and blue zoo aquatics pellets.

He does not have ich, he just kicked some sand up before some of these pictures were taken.
I look for pinched belly and other signs associated with internal issues. One thing noticed in pics is lack of sand which they very much need and stress may be issue. Enter a deep salad bowl or container with fine sand for them

OP
OP
saltwaterswiftie

saltwaterswiftie

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I look for pinched belly and other signs associated with internal issues. One thing noticed in pics is lack of sand which they very much need and stress may be issue. Enter a deep salad bowl or container with fine sand for them
I don't think he has pinched belly.
Since its a QT, it is a bare bottom but I do have a little bowl of sand in the tank. The yellow coris wrasse buries himself in it most of the time and only comes out for a little bit at night. The tricolor fairy wrasse has not shown much interest in the sand.

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
I don't think he has pinched belly.
Since its a QT, it is a bare bottom but I do have a little bowl of sand in the tank. The yellow coris wrasse buries himself in it most of the time and only comes out for a little bit at night. The tricolor fairy wrasse has not shown much interest in the sand.
If eating, try TDO or spectrum pellets as well as brine shrimp to help them pass food. As Jay mentioned- General cure has a level of Metro in it and will help- continue to use it

Bubbles, bubbles, and more bubbles: Do you keep bubble-like corals in your reef?

• I currently have bubble-like corals in my reef.

Votes: 49 41.2%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I have in the past.

Votes: 13 10.9%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 33 27.7%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 22 18.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.7%
Back