New clownfish - is this normal??

Crass

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey guys,

Just added a pair of clows to my 10 gallon.

Ammonia 0

Nitiries 0

Nitrates kinda high but should be fin for fish

One of them seems to be swimming in the back right corner vertically for past 45 min. Is that normal?

I'm under the impression that this is what clowns do when their is a lack of coral present to rest in. Want to confirm.

Thank you!

20200220_214410.jpg

Big G

captain dunsel
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you don't already have some, add a couple of plastic aquarium plants to give the fish some cover. And yes, clowns will do the corner vertical thing. Just make sure it's not from aggression. Have had fish do that. They are scared from attacks and hide in the corners. Sometimes the attacks come "after" light out.

OP
OP
C

Crass

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you don't already have some, add a couple of plastic aquarium plants to give the fish some cover. And yes, clowns will do the corner vertical thing. Just make sure it's not from aggression. Have had fish do that. They are scared from attacks and hide in the corners. Sometimes the attacks come "after" light out.

Ok thank you! I do have a bunch of rock in thier, getting ready for coral down the line. Would this been enough cover for now? They just went in the tank today, and I havent seen any aggression yet. I'm thinking its hopefully just his acclimation process.

I had my 425 gph hydor on, but turned it off for now as they get used to the tank. Will keep it off for a few days I think, seemed to be way too strong for them. Return put 100 gph is still on

20200220_215706.jpg

Big G

captain dunsel
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah, I got a pair of ORA clowns a couple of years ago that were tiny. Had to swap out the powerhead for a smaller one. Set it down deeper and aimed it up at a steeper angle so it didn't blow the little guys around.
They really seem to like the floating plants. ;)

OP
OP
C

Crass

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It’s normal for captive bred clowns to do this for awhile before getting use to tank life. Mine adjusted just after 1 day so I was happy.

Thank you! Definitely good to know i wasn't sure

KyOsIBa515

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Normal, especially designer clowns. I have had a pair of black ice clowns for over a year and they still do this.

OP
OP
C

Crass

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The other guy is having a time

Attachments

• 20200220_220726.mp4
    9.1 MB

codycolina707

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey guys,

Just added a pair of clows to my 10 gallon.

Ammonia 0

Nitiries 0

Nitrates kinda high but should be fin for fish

One of them seems to be swimming in the back right corner vertically for past 45 min. Is that normal?

I'm under the impression that this is what clowns do when their is a lack of coral present to rest in. Want to confirm.

Thank you!

20200220_214410.jpg
think its normal my first pair of clowns hosted my hob skimmer for the longest time female ended up jumping but she was starting to host some gsp/anthelia now the male which is female now still host the hob skimmer and the new little clown i added host 2 rainbow btas which he went to 1 day after adding him

Back