New clownfish, pairing

LifeOfAquatics

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey, so I have a black ocellaris clown that I’ve had for about 5 months, and the thing is, he’s been tiny forever. I want to add another clown, preferably another ocellaris, just not a black oce. I was maybe gonna add like a snowflake or something, anyway, ik that you shouldn’t rlly add a large clownfish to a small one, it’s supposed to be the other way around ik, but I’m upgrading my tank anyway and thought I could get away with adding a new bigger one in the new tank and adding my current smaller one like a day after or so. Would this work? Also, say I got two new clownfish For a diff tank, both of diff sizes and diff colors (normal oce and snowflake) on the same day, could I pair them together this way?

Gup

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
One thing you should do is put your smaller one in your upgrade tank first, before you purchase a larger Clown. In the new tank, your small black clown would get adjusted and find a spot he is comfortable with. You put a bigger one in, now that one's female. So I would definitely wait on that new purchase

OP
OP
L

LifeOfAquatics

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
One thing you should do is put your smaller one in your upgrade tank first, before you purchase a larger Clown. In the new tank, your small black clown would get adjusted and find a spot he is comfortable with. You put a bigger one in, now that one's female. So I would definitely wait on that new purchase
Wait why would it not be the other way around though? Just curious bc I remember some people said if a bigger one is established then adding a smaller one would be easier

Dkmoo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think the risk isn't about the size but the sex, when its just one maybe it already started to turn to female, then if you add a bigger one that may also turn female so you end up with 2 and they will fight to the death

Mr. Mojo Rising

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
why would you want a bigger one anyway? It sounds like you have a juvenile, why not get another juvenile, its fun to watch them play together and grow together.

OP
OP
L

LifeOfAquatics

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think the risk isn't about the size but the sex, when its just one maybe it already started to turn to female, then if you add a bigger one that may also turn female so you end up with 2 and they will fight to the death
I dont know if started to turn female, it has been small for a really long time. should I try getting another clownfish that is of same size and see what happens?

OP
OP
L

LifeOfAquatics

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
why would you want a bigger one anyway? It sounds like you have a juvenile, why not get another juvenile, its fun to watch them play together and grow together.
i dont think that is a good idea right? your not supposed to have two similar sized clownfish right?

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 7 22.6%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 25 80.6%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 7 22.6%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 1 3.2%
  • Other

Votes: 2 6.5%
Back