New. Confused

Justin poirier

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
so I just started a 30 gallon marine tank fee live rock and filter skimmer etc. so at first I put a 6 line wrasse (I know their mean) to get bio filter going and to see if how he would do. He was doing great. I added the antenna lionfish that I originally wanted he's doing fine too. Then this is when bad things started to happen I added yellow tang he was doing good. Then puffer valentine and a clown. Yellow tang died recently looked like he was pricked by the lion fish on accident. Then the puffer died no reason. Now the clown. My wrasse and lionfish are doing great still but how come nothing else is surviving

thaitopher

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I may be wrong but I don't believe clownish and tangs go with lionfish. Did you research their compatibility before putting them together?

PJS

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to R2R!

Let's start with a few questions :

1) How long has the tank been wet?
2) Did you let it cycle?
3) What are the tanks parameters?

Not knowing all the details it sounds like you may have gone a little too fast (which we all do from time to time)
Remember...in reefing nothing good ever comes from fast....slow slow and slower.

OP
OP
Justin poirier

Justin poirier

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to R2R!

Let's start with a few questions :

1) How long has the tank been wet?
2) Did you let it cycle?
3) What are the tanks parameters?

Not knowing all the details it sounds like you may have gone a little too fast (which we all do from time to time)
Remember...in reefing nothing good ever comes from fast....slow slow and slower.
This I could understand but my tank has been running for 1 month and I added marine startup to make it fish friendly the first day I got it but didn't add fish till about 3 weeks in. My Ammonia is 0 nitrate 0 Ph 8.4 salinity or standard gravity not sure what to call it. 1.23

OP
OP
Justin poirier

Justin poirier

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tan
I may be wrong but I don't believe clownish and tangs go with lionfish. Did you research their compatibility before putting them together?
tangs should be fine. Clownfish is a fish but he's the same size

OP
OP
Justin poirier

Justin poirier

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMG_2312.JPG
And of course the one time I wanna take a picture of him he's hiding

Lionfish Lair

Renee
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Were you going to upgrade to a larger tank, Justin. Or were you thinking of these guys living in the 30 forever? You added too many fish too fast and too early. It may stabilize somewhat now with a more appropriate bioload and space. That lion isn't a good specimen for a tank that small, however, and your choices of mates is a little sketchy. Maybe share with us your future plans and we can help you pick a more appropriate list.

Welcome to Reef2Reef, BTW.

OP
OP
Justin poirier

Justin poirier

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Were you going to upgrade to a larger tank, Justin. Or were you thinking of these guys living in the 30 forever? You added too many fish too fast and too early. It may stabilize somewhat now with a more appropriate bioload and space. That lion isn't a good specimen for a tank that small, however, and your choices of mates is a little sketchy. Maybe share with us your future plans and we can help you pick a more appropriate list.

Welcome to Reef2Reef, BTW.
Oh ya 100% going to upgrade. I always upgrade my tanks. I start off small then I build a stand for whatever tank that I want which usually can take a month or 2 maybe 3 I was thinking about 55 or 100 I have a 100 gallon slimmer just need a pump for it. I did the same thing with my discus tank I bought them small as they grew up started out growing a put them in a 40 which is perfect for what I have. Sounds small but it's not

OP
OP
Justin poirier

Justin poirier

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I actually had these in my marine tank ( not the same one I have a ton of old petco tanks when they got rid of them)

image.jpg

OP
OP
Justin poirier

Justin poirier

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Would you have any recommendations what I should put in with him? I want the activity of the clown and tangs. Maybe trigger?

Lionfish Lair

Renee
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
To help you with future tankmates, it would be better to know the destination tank. Different mates will go in a 55 than a 100g. Right now, that 30 is stocked. You don't want to put anyone else in there until you have somewhere else for those guys to go.

Lionfish Lair

Renee
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Would you have any recommendations what I should put in with him? I want the activity of the clown and tangs. Maybe trigger?

If you were going to go with a trigger, keep with the pelagic varieties, like the Xanthichthys. They'll be less likely to pick at the lion. A tang is fine as well, if the tank size is appropriate, of course. The clown can be eaten and the 6 line can be eaten.

Last edited:

Nellynel21

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
did you acclimate your fish till the salinity match your tank??
Some fish are more hardy then others...

PJS

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
salinity or standard gravity not sure what to call it. 1.23
fwiw...if you are intending to add Corals you should raise your SG to 1.026 but raise it no more than a point an hour. In your case I wouldn't raise it by any more than a point a day or 2 days, your fish sound stressed enough as is.
Good luck!

mcarroll

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If this is your first saltwater tank and the tank was that new, it was just too much too soon too fast for everyone concerned – you, the tank and the fish.

I would go MUCH SLOWER then next time around and DON'T try to stock up the tank in a few weeks or months. Enjoy that first fish for a few months – longer if you can. You'll never be able to pour on more attention to detail or spoil a fish more than this. GET INTO IT! :) :) :) Make sure you can manage the tank....keep him healthy....get him FAT FAT FAT.

Once you're there – at least a few months in – then take on another fish. Same rhythm – wait at least months before adding anything else. Watch the tank adjust to the new bio-load. Watch the fish adjust to each other. Make sure you can still handle the tank with the new bio-load. Get both fish FAT, FAT, FAT.

And progress like that. I would feel pretty good about still having room for more fish 365 days down the road if you could stretch it out that long.....or even longer. You might even upgrade before you get this tank full....that would be awesome! :)

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 42 48.8%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 45 52.3%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 19 22.1%
  • None.

Votes: 22 25.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 10.5%
Back