New copper band

Bayareareefer18

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Was very happy to stop into th LFS this weekend and see they had a couple very nice looking copperbands. Both were eating in the store and looked to be healthy and active.

After bringing it home it definitely is eating mysis but seems to prefer to graze the rock crevices and pick food from under rocks. Very mobile which is exactly what I was looking for. The fish I had chosen so far are more rock dwellers so very happy with this beauty. Hoping it will find the few small aiptasias that I have lol

Definitely hoping for long term success
658750ff3c12db546befcdb86be26420.jpg
59f3d27607dc8f2667df07b468ab8a23.jpg

rob safron

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I got one 5 weeks ago. Can not get it to eat any prepared food, at least not in front of me. Picks all day and looks happy, not looking skinny or stressed. These are hard fish to keep.

PDR

<°)))>{
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just got one a few weeks ago, not eating when I got him, but he quickly took to LRS fish frenzy. He now eats reef frenzy, fish frenzy, clam, and mysis, but spits out brine lol. Starting to fatten up.

rob safron

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I do feed a couple mysis brands, brine and LRF also. I’ll keep trying. I think he may be eating peices that get stuck to rocks and sand after they settle.

rob safron

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I do feed a couple mysis brands, brine and LRF also. I’ll keep trying. I think he may be eating peices that get stuck to rocks and sand after they settle.

roberthu526

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Picking on rocks usually means he will eat aiptasia in the future. I had one for six months and he didn’t really pick on rocks and also didn’t eat any aiptasia.
The one I have now picks on rock all day but also eats mysis. It took care all the aiptasia in the tank in two days. Can’t tell you how happy I am. I sat in front of the tank for hours admiring this guy working!

Jason mack

Monti madness
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Get a good supply of copepods ...I add 2-3 bags a week for mine ...I add them at night with pumps off to give them a chance too find the rocks ....I also feed Artemia and mysis ...

OP
OP
Bayareareefer18

Bayareareefer18

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Picking on rocks usually means he will eat aiptasia in the future. I had one for six months and he didn’t really pick on rocks and also didn’t eat any aiptasia.
The one I have now picks on rock all day but also eats mysis. It took care all the aiptasia in the tank in two days. Can’t tell you how happy I am. I sat in front of the tank for hours admiring this guy working!
Good to know. He definitely is constantly picking. Cool to watch how it turn and flips its body to get into the areas it wants. Definitely a fish that is nice to sit and watch.
Get a good supply of copepods ...I add 2-3 bags a week for mine ...I add them at night with pumps off to give them a chance too find the rocks ....I also feed Artemia and mysis ...
Good to know. I definitely have lots of pods since getting a nice chunk of chaeto from a member here. My chaeto is exploding and full of pods

OP
OP
Bayareareefer18

Bayareareefer18

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I got one 5 weeks ago. Can not get it to eat any prepared food, at least not in front of me. Picks all day and looks happy, not looking skinny or stressed. These are hard fish to keep.
Definitely have the rep of being hard to keep but worth it if you can have success. They really are a nice fish. They seem to be pretty personable as well. In the LFS as I was standing and examining them they come right up to the glass

Jason mack

Monti madness
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Had mine about a year and half now ...hes my favorite...lots of personality...but can stress easily ...I also like too feed mine live muscles I collect from the beach ...wash them in rodi , them break them open and toss one or two a day in ...my copperband goes crazy for them ...
Here's a short video feeding time in my tank

cracker

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Consider trying a fresh clam with a chunk of frozen "quality" frozen fish food . As it picks at the clam,which they love, bits of the frozen will float out the copper will think its clam & try it. of smashing frozen food into a rock crevice . This closely mimics the natural feeding behavior. Once you get it to eat, they are big eaters & need a wide variety of food. It will never make it long on mysis or pellets etc.
Bay You got a good looking fish there. Keep trying differing stuff & mix it with what it's eating now. Hope she makes it. they are beautiful fish .

OP
OP
Bayareareefer18

Bayareareefer18

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Had mine about a year and half now ...hes my favorite...lots of personality...but can stress easily ...I also like too feed mine live muscles I collect from the beach ...wash them in rodi , them break them open and toss one or two a day in ...my copperband goes crazy for them ...
Thanks for sharing.
Consider trying a fresh clam with a chunk of frozen "quality" frozen fish food . As it picks at the clam,which they love, bits of the frozen will float out the copper will think its clam & try it. of smashing frozen food into a rock crevice . This closely mimics the natural feeding behavior. Once you get it to eat, they are big eaters & need a wide variety of food. It will never make it long on mysis or pellets etc.
Bay You got a good looking fish there. Keep trying differing stuff & mix it with what it's eating now. Hope she makes it. they are beautiful fish .
Thanks man for the words of wisdom and encouragement

Already loving this fish. Fortunately the rest of my fish aren't terribly aggressive eaters other than the foxface, which was a surprise lol

elisa h

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

WOW your tank is stunning! All your fish look so fat and happy. Has the copper band picked at any of your LPS?

Jason mack

Monti madness
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
WOW your tank is stunning! All your fish look so fat and happy. Has the copper band picked at any of your LPS?
Thanks .!!! No he hasn't....I'm more worried about my flame angle doing it ...but upto now they've been good ..!

Jason mack

Monti madness
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Been wanting an angel but think I like my LPS more especially my Acans which is one they seem to enjoy.
Just keep them well fed , I have acans as well has never been near them ...

Last edited:

Managing real reef risks: Do you pay attention to the dangers in your tank?

• I pay a lot of attention to reef risks.

Votes: 73 42.9%
  • I pay a bit of attention to reef risks.

Votes: 60 35.3%
  • I pay minimal attention to reef risks.

Votes: 25 14.7%
  • I pay no attention to reef risks.

Votes: 10 5.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.2%
Back