New Coral Beauty not eating, otherwise happy. Is this a problem?

glb

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I got a Coral Beauty yesterday, acclimated it properly, and it seems fine in the tank. It's swimming around and having a blast. I've tried feeding it Spectrum pellets and mysis shrimp but he just looks at it and lets it float by. I know he's probably just getting used to the tank, but wondered if there's better food for a dwarf angel. Any thoughts?

Maritimer

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Angels enjoy picking from the rock, so nori or other food that's attached to the rock can feel more comfortable for them. With nori, you can use rubber bands to attach, but with other foods a paste form may be more appropriate - similar to Masstick.

~Bruce

OP
OP
glb

glb

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Angels enjoy picking from the rock, so nori or other food that's attached to the rock can feel more comfortable for them. With nori, you can use rubber bands to attach, but with other foods a paste form may be more appropriate - similar to Masstick.

~Bruce
Thanks. It's a new tank that doesn't have lights yet so there's not much on the rocks. He is picking at them though, so maybe he sees something that I don't.

Florida Sunshine

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Did you have the LFS feed him for you so you could watch him eat? What were they feeding him?
This is a good habit to get into. Make sure the fish is eating whatever kind of food you are feeding before you bring him home.
One day, I wouldn't be too worried. He could just be getting comfortable, but I would keep an eye on him

OP
OP
glb

glb

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Did you have the LFS feed him for you so you could watch him eat? What were they feeding him?
This is a good habit to get into. Make sure the fish is eating whatever kind of food you are feeding before you bring him home.
One day, I wouldn't be too worried. He could just be getting comfortable, but I would keep an eye on him
I usually watch them feed fish before I buy them but forgot yesterday. They feed mysis shrimp. I told them what I fed and they said that would be fine. I might go get nori today.

OP
OP
glb

glb

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can I get nori at the supermarket or does it need to be a fish food kind? Also, does it dirty up the water?

Andrewalex11

Reef Technology
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can get nori straight from the market. That's what we use at work it's the same stuff, way cheaper too. Don't waste your money on the "high quality fish food" versions.

OP
OP
glb

glb

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can get nori straight from the market. That's what we use at work it's the same stuff, way cheaper too. Don't waste your money on the "high quality fish food" versions.
You buy it frozen? Dried? And how much do you put in at a time?

Andrewalex11

Reef Technology
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Dried, and for you I'd suggest putting it on a veggie clip or rubber-banding a piece to a rock and just leaving it in there like that all day. Your fish will respond much better when they are allowed to naturally graze like that.

OP
OP
glb

glb

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I got some at the grocery store. So far no one's interested.

IMG_2472.JPG

Garyf7257

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How long have you had the coral beauty? Mine was basically by itself besides one clownfish and it still took a good 4-5 days before it felt comfortable enough to eat. New environment, give it some time.

madweazl

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I didnt see our CB eat for well over a month. Obviously it was getting something but I never witnessed it. After that, he started eating everything that was introduced. None of my fish touched the algae clips until a tang was added to the tank; once it started picking at the algae clip, others joined in (including a McCosker's wrasse for some reason).

Last edited:
OP
OP
glb

glb

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How long have you had the coral beauty? Mine was basically by itself besides one clownfish and it still took a good 4-5 days before it felt comfortable enough to eat. New environment, give it some time.
Only 4 days. He is picking at the rock, but there's no algae that I can see because I don't have lights yet.

OP
OP
glb

glb

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks everyone! I feel much better. He's happy as can be, swimming around, hanging out with the fishie crew, and playing hide and seek in the rocks.

Higgs

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@glb how did the story end? Have a similar situation. Tried everything that I could - nothing. Only grazing on a thin layer of algae on the rock and glass. He is the smallest in the tank so I guess he feels intimidated.

Familyman2010

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@glb how did the story end? Have a similar situation. Tried everything that I could - nothing. Only grazing on a thin layer of algae on the rock and glass. He is the smallest in the tank so I guess he feels intimidated.
Mine eats brine shrimp and mega algae marine from hikari. Idk if this may help

Higgs

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I'll just reply to my own question. It took a week for my Coral Beauty to start eating as all other fishes in my tank. It took about a week. At first it was only grassing on the rock and glass completely ignoring any food that I was feeding (and overfeeding). I tried Artemia Brine Shrimp with and without Spirulina, Mysis shrimp, Bloodworms, Mussels and Sea weed. No effect. I decided it to let it go and continued feeding Artemia and Mysis as a daily feeding ration. Eventually I noticed that it started trying something and it turned out to be Artemia with Spirulina. Today it was participating full heartedly in the feeding frenzy without any sign of being intimidated by other participants.

Form or function: Do you consider your rock work to be art or the platform for your coral?

• Primarily art focused.

Votes: 20 8.2%
  • Primarily a platform for coral.

Votes: 43 17.7%
  • A bit of each - both art and a platform.

Votes: 162 66.7%
  • Neither.

Votes: 12 4.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 2.5%
Back