New coral not looking good.

Reef Devils

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Went to my LFS today and got some Xenia. The Xenia is not looking great. I glued it onto a rock that is not connected to my main rock scape. I wanted to try and keep it isolated on one rock. I had to glue them on because they kept floating away. There were 4 pieces of Xenia. The color on them don’t look as good and the pulsing of them is not as good as they were in the store. Anything I should do?

IMG_1348.jpeg IMG_1347.jpeg IMG_1349.jpeg

Attachments

• IMG_1350.mov
    14.5 MB
  • 71599917763__D49D5060-D66C-4DBD-834B-B92A33956D12.MOV
    1.3 MB

Pickle_soup

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Relax a bit. They are new to the tank and stressed the heck out of them. Give it some time. What you can do with corals in the future is to put them in a small cup in a tank on top of some rocks you might like them to attach to. Leave them alone for a couple of day for now.

OP
OP
Reef Devils

Reef Devils

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Relax a bit. They are new to the tank and stressed the heck out of them. Give it some time. What you can do with corals in the future is to put them in a small cup in a tank on top of some rocks you might like them to attach to. Leave them alone for a couple of day for now.
Ok I got a big hammer coral and a rose bubble tip nem today with the Xenia. The other 2 corals look great. The nem is on the move. Do you think there is to much flow or to little flow for the Xenia and is it to low in the tank? I glued the Xenia to the rock and idk if that’s as a good idea.

Pickle_soup

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok I got a big hammer coral and a rose bubble tip nem today with the Xenia. The other 2 corals look great. The nem is on the move. Do you think there is to much flow or to little flow for the Xenia and is it to low in the tank? I glued the Xenia to the rock and idk if that’s as a good idea.
I looks like it might be a bit too much, I always had a hard time it them, they seem to do better with wavemakers. Still thou, give them some time.

OP
OP
Reef Devils

Reef Devils

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I looks like it might be a bit too much, I always had a hard time it them, they seem to do better with wavemakers. Still thou, give them some time.
Ok thanks

OP
OP
Reef Devils

Reef Devils

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You need to make sure you have nem guards on your powerheads or it will get in there and nuke your tank.
I have a Red Sea reef wave 45. What is the best nem guard to get?

Lavey29

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OP
OP
Reef Devils

Reef Devils

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Salty_Northerner

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
FWIW I've got Xenia on the left and right side of the tank and have an mp10 on the right near the top center. Second MP10 is on the left close to the bottom all running a mix of reef Crest and lagoon modes at 70% and believe me they get whipped around like crazy. But then the pumps chill out a bit and the flow slows down and the Xenia are nice and fluffy pulsing away like mad. Some say they don't like strong flow but I'm seeing they don't mind the flow at all, but then again it's not a constant flow but a varied but strong indirect flow.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Went to my LFS today and got some Xenia. The Xenia is not looking great. I glued it onto a rock that is not connected to my main rock scape. I wanted to try and keep it isolated on one rock. I had to glue them on because they kept floating away. There were 4 pieces of Xenia. The color on them don’t look as good and the pulsing of them is not as good as they were in the store. Anything I should do?

IMG_1348.jpeg IMG_1347.jpeg IMG_1349.jpeg
These xenia do best at upper part of tank under moderate to medium flow and light. A little iron occasionally perk them up. I just gave away a few clumps of this stuff today.

OP
OP
Reef Devils

Reef Devils

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
These xenia do best at upper part of tank under moderate to medium flow and light. A little iron occasionally perk them up. I just gave away a few clumps of this stuff today.
I would move it up higher but I don’t want to put it on the main rock scape. What’s you you recommend?

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 31 16.1%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 5.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 25 13.0%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 112 58.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 12 6.3%
Back