New corals

twiggy

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi I just added my first coral to the tank but my hermit crabs keep going to it is this ok or should I do anything thansk

mdb_talon

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hard to say. "Never trust a crab." Keep an eye on it. Usually fine and dandy...sometimes you end up with a new sump crab.

Agree with you there other than i am done giving any a chance! I love crabs but after a few occurences of "good" crabs ripping open my acan and chalice mouths for food no more chances. I keep some in refugium section they are great at cleaning up leftover but wont risk with coral anymore.

OP
OP
T

twiggy

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks it's started to open slightly earlier but then when the crab went over it closed again

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    123.5 KB · Views: 18

Quietman

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Agree with you there other than i am done giving any a chance! I love crabs but after a few occurences of "good" crabs ripping open my acan and chalice mouths for food no more chances. I keep some in refugium section they are great at cleaning up leftover but wont risk with coral anymore.
I've had 3 blue leg hermits for a couple years...been model citizens the entire time. But I still keep an eye on them.

Quietman

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks it's started to open slightly earlier but then when the crab went over it closed again
That's pretty normal when they get disturbed, won't hurt it. If you start losing heads/polyps then keep a close eye to confirm...might be something else.

Good Luck and Welcome Aboard!

KrisReef

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Those crabs are great for a clean up crew. The corals polyps will close when disturbed. New stuff smells different(?) so I think that attracts the crabs when it goes in the tank. Keep an eye on fish, crabs, and other things that are attracted to your coral and remove anything that decides to clean up everything on the frag plug.

Welcome to Reef2Reef!

OP
OP
T

twiggy

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Woke up this morning started to open thanks all though Woukd update

Attachments

• F969FA1A-F0D7-4961-B85B-99E2FFDABF70.png
    F969FA1A-F0D7-4961-B85B-99E2FFDABF70.png
    1 MB · Views: 20

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 64 37.0%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 59 34.1%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 24 13.9%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 26 15.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back