new cycle ammonia testing

QFlo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
hi reefers, I'm on 3rd day of a new tank cycle. I did an ammonia test with two different brands, A.P.I. and Salifert. two totally different outcomes. is there a reason for this? I'm sure I followed each instruction respectfully. I'm also using a Salifert Nitrite test

IMG_9615.jpg IMG_9616.jpg

Dan_P

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
hi reefers, I'm on 3rd day of a new tank cycle. I did an ammonia test with two different brands, A.P.I. and Salifert. two totally different outcomes. is there a reason for this? I'm sure I followed each instruction respectfully. I'm also using a Salifert Nitrite test

I don’t know the reason for the differences. You cannot fool the API test to give you such an intense color. The API results are likely closer to the truth.

parvicrazy

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wouldnt worry about it. Just give it a few weeks for your cycle to complete. You dont really need to be testing ammonia. Just test it once in 4 weeks lol.

NowGlazeIT

Happy to help, Ask away.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Gosh those are very different, if your sure you followed all the steps to the letter and both test kits are within their expiration dates. I could only suggest a third test kit (even if it’s just a newly purchased API to verify) or a retest after cleaning the vials out with RODI. I don’t agree with testing for ammonia once in 4 weeks, maybe that was a joke towards the laid back approach but it’s good to track ammonia. A few reasons come to mind like, to know that you had it to confirm the cycle has started, how well your tank establishes bacteria to combat it (in case you need to add more bacteria) also how much comes off your substrate and if there are any spikes or flare ups after it starts to near zero. This is how you know your cycle is complete. After confirming your test kits are accurate of course ;Happy

OP
OP
QFlo

QFlo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
thanks for everyone feedback.

so i check amazon's reviews, and somehow, many of the reviews has the same issue with the ammonia test registering 0ppm or "clear". probably a bad batch from the seller

Kuhmens

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No this is very very common, I had the exact same thing happen in my tank with a red sea kit and a Sali kit. So what I was told after extensive research and experimenting myself. The Sali test for ammonia and not ammonium, as the other kits test both, when I don't understand still because Sali boxes advertise they test both. Which infact was not the case for me. You have 0 ammonia and high ammonium. Which ultimately is what the tank is cycling? I guess? That's my idea on it anyways. What I did was the first dose... I let it come down.. stayed very high for a while I was almost at the end of my patience.. then BOOM over night it fell hard.. went from off the charts to 1ppm and continued to fall throughout the day, it hit 0 so I dosed again and it consumed it fast and started to see the ugly stage begin and ammonia consumed fully. Now my nitrites are through the roof. I did a huge water change as my nitrates and nitrates were huge.... my tank consumed the 4ppm of ammonia in like 14 hours.. huge sign it's cycled. But the ammonia dosing gave me huge nitrites.. be patient.. I may have messed up myself but I for sure think the cycle is complete. I could be wrong but that's my personal experience and thoughts.

Jivatma

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I too have API and salifert NH3 kits. And my API kit is off the charts high, but the salifert is low.

Ultimately, for testing if a cycle is started, wait until you get some measurable quantity of nitrates.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 53 42.4%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 25 20.0%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 43 34.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.2%

Back