OP
OP
shawnriv

shawnriv

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No need to add more bacteria for now atleast.

Take the fish out. Test your levels. Test phosphates next - your dry rock might be leaching this and at a higher level it’s harmful for fish and corals.

I don't think so. I used Reef Saver rock which has no dead material on it at all.

Are you using rodi water for your salt and top off?

Yes, I have my own RODI water-maker.

Almost positive they died from disease, etc. I don't think there is an issue with your tank.

That's what I would think too, but they seemed fine at the LFS. That's why I'm wondering if I should do a large water change if so?

PDR

<°)))>{
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't think so. I used Reef Saver rock which has no dead material on it at all.

Reef Saver will leach phosphate, so it is worth checking, but I don't think phosphate is your issue.

That's what I would think too, but they seemed fine at the LFS. That's why I'm wondering if I should do a large water change if so?

It is common for them to seem fine and just drop dead later. I had an order of 6 chromis from LA. 1 died every day for 5 days and I never saw any visible signs or symptoms of disease or parasite. 6 months later I still have 1 alive.

OP
OP
shawnriv

shawnriv

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Reef Saver will leach phosphate, so it is worth checking, but I don't think phosphate is your issue.

It is common for them to seem fine and just drop dead later. I had an order of 6 chromis from LA. 1 died every day for 5 days and I never saw any visible signs or symptoms of disease or parasite. 6 months later I still have 1 alive.

So I just had to take apart my aquscape (that drove me crazy) to locate the two fish. The first one that died (they died within a few days of each other - I assume because I only noticed one eating for the last few days) was basically deteriorated - I gagged a few times removing him. So maybe they did have issues at the store, brought them home, first one died and caused an issue in the water.

OP
OP
shawnriv

shawnriv

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I agree the fish were most likely goners before Ya bought them .

So since this may be the case, should I do a large water change or just a regular one (like 15-20%)?

cracker

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How long have the 2 dead chromis been in there ? A couple days? I'd remove them. if they stink,that's good thier decay did leave some Am in the tank. Pleas no new fish for a while.

PDR

<°)))>{
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What are your current ammonia, nitrite and nitrate reading?

OP
OP
shawnriv

shawnriv

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How long have the 2 dead chromis been in there ? A couple days? I'd remove them. if they stink,that's good thier decay did leave some Am in the tank. Pleas no new fish for a while.
Stink? Oh yes, indeed. Do you think I should do a large water change then? And no fish for how long?

OP
OP
shawnriv

shawnriv

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When I picked one out, there was like a white casing wrapped around it.

Technewb

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Don't buy chromis as your first fishes, they always die for some reason. I bought over 20 chromis to date and only 2 has survived. Most dead in a couple days. Thats why they are so cheap. Should have bought nemo instead.

OP
OP
shawnriv

shawnriv

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What are your current ammonia, nitrite and nitrate reading?

I just did a quick ammonia and nitrite test after removing the dead fishes.

IMG_2234.jpg
IMG_2235.jpg

PDR

<°)))>{
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Since your ammonia and nitrite are in line, there is no need to do a WC unless your nitrate or phosphate is super high imo.

OP
OP
shawnriv

shawnriv

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Since your ammonia and nitrite are in line, there is no need to do a WC unless your nitrate or phosphate is super high imo.
I'll give those a check tomorrow. Should I be worried to introduce new fish since these fish may have been sick? Whatever disease or illness they may have had, I want it to be dead before adding a newbie.

Smite

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm guessing you followed the directions on the bottle and did a large water change once your tank went zero within 24 hours of adding ammonia at a level of 2ppm? I was surprised so see my QT with a level of close to 100ppm nitrate today using the same method. Had I done a large water change @ 50% without testing I'd still be at 50ppm. While that might not kill a fish, it could stress a newly added fish, weaken its immune system and let whatever it carried from the LFS take it out that much quicker.

If you plan to QT going forward you need to wait 74 days to make sure your system is clean. If not then once you're sure your parameters are still stable.

Any heavy breathing or hiding in shadows/avoiding light/flashing?

WWIII

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree with the thought that chromis are prone to disease (specifically uronema). If it was uronema, I'm pretty sure that remains in the tank no matter how long you go fallow (without fish). No idea if uronema did them in, but they are extremely prone to it. This disease does typically only affect chromis though.

I would personally try a sturdier fish from your want list when you do decide to add something else. Maybe a clownfish if you plan on one? These days it's really difficult to add random fish without full quarantine. Best we can do without qt is try to make sure the fish look healthy and are eating well at the LFS. Good luck! Losing fish stinks.

OP
OP
shawnriv

shawnriv

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree with the thought that chromis are prone to disease (specifically uronema). If it was uronema, I'm pretty sure that remains in the tank no matter how long you go fallow (without fish). No idea if uronema did them in, but they are extremely prone to it. This disease does typically only affect chromis though.

I would personally try a sturdier fish from your want list when you do decide to add something else. Maybe a clownfish if you plan on one? These days it's really difficult to add random fish without full quarantine. Best we can do without qt is try to make sure the fish look healthy and are eating well at the LFS. Good luck! Losing fish stinks.

OP
OP
shawnriv

shawnriv

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

So I just Google'd "uronema" and yes! that's exactly what it looked like when one of them was swimming around. Holy smokes, you nailed it. So what should I do? ;Blackeye

Last edited:
Back