New Cycled Tank - Dead Fish...Help!

Daniel91

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
But now that we have ammonium available, why put a fish through it?

While they certainly survive the cycle and are just “cheap” fish it does not mean it is not cruel to put the little creatures through that hell.

LBCoralGuy

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Temperature and salinity. Temperate floating in bag, then drip acclimated in bucket. Chromis are rather hardy.

At the same time, chromis can be rather difficult to keep. I see them fight each other...I can’t tell you how many time I’ve dumped 10-15 into my display, and within months I’m down to 7-10.

OP
OP
shawnriv

shawnriv

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
One and only. 2 weeks later
20181006_092557.jpeg
Did you fishless cycle or put a fish in immediately after adding it?

OP
OP
shawnriv

shawnriv

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
But now that we have ammonium available, why put a fish through it?

While they certainly survive the cycle and are just “cheap” fish it does not mean it is not cruel to put the little creatures through that hell.
I agree. And that's what I did not do. I did a fishless cycle for over two weeks. I used an ammonia source (see my original post) so there is no cruelty. Once the tank was cycled, that's when I added the fish.

Surfandturf

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree. And that's what I did not do. I did a fishless cycle for over two weeks. I used an ammonia source (see my original post) so there is no cruelty. Once the tank was cycled, that's when I added the fish.
Yes, but if you don't put enough ammonia in, you delay the cycle. Good news is your tank is cycling now!

OP
OP
shawnriv

shawnriv

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, but if you don't put enough ammonia in, you delay the cycle. Good news is your tank is cycling now!

Well, should I remove the dead fish then? They're still in there since I just noticed they croaked. I was going to do a water change and add another bottle of Bio Spira. It's strange since now I have dead fish, I imagine I should see a spike in ammonia?

Daniel91

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes. Remove the dead fish. Decomposing leads to additional ammonia.

What did you use to determine your tank was cycled? Test kits? Did you ever test for phosphates?

OP
OP
shawnriv

shawnriv

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes. Remove the dead fish. Decomposing leads to additional ammonia.

What did you use to determine your tank was cycled? Test kits? Did you ever test for phosphates?

I used an API test kit. Phosphates? No, I did not test for this. Once I remove the dead fish, should I be dosing the tank with ammonia to keep the nitrifying bacteria fed?

Surfandturf

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, should I remove the dead fish then? They're still in there since I just noticed they croaked. I was going to do a water change and add another bottle of Bio Spira. It's strange since now I have dead fish, I imagine I should see a spike in ammonia?
Me? Yea, I would take them out. That's just me though. I took the damsels that died out of mine. Again, I am not sure what killed them. I waited a week after adding my first fish before adding them. Could have been a spike or just the yellow tang keeping them in the corner. No ammonia spike for me. Why not just ride it out two more weeks and try again?

Surfandturf

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I used an API test kit. Phosphates? No, I did not test for this. Once I remove the dead fish, should I be dosing the tank with ammonia to keep the nitrifying bacteria fed?
You have to add ammonia to dr Tim's. I know nothing of biospira. Without a food source, you just delay the cycle.

OP
OP
shawnriv

shawnriv

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Me? Yea, I would take them out. That's just me though. I took the damsels that died out of mine. Again, I am not sure what killed them. I waited a week after adding my first fish before adding them. Could have been a spike or just the yellow tang keeping them in the corner. No ammonia spike for me. Why not just ride it out two more weeks and try again?
Yeah, that's what I'll probably do. But do I need to dose ammonia? I mean, I'll add another bottle of Bio Spira but then the tank will continue to have zero ammonia and nitrite. Don't you need an ammonia source for a tank to cycle?

OP
OP
shawnriv

shawnriv

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Surfandturf

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Negative. The ammonia was only for the tan to get going without the fish. Once the tank was done cycling, I stopped using ammonia, did a large water change, then added fish.
I wonder if the large water change did it. I did two 4 gallon water changes since setting mine up. Small.

Daniel91

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No need to add more bacteria for now atleast.

Take the fish out. Test your levels. Test phosphates next - your dry rock might be leaching this and at a higher level it’s harmful for fish and corals.

Surfandturf

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No need to add more bacteria for now atleast.

Take the fish out. Test your levels. Test phosphates next - your dry rock might be leaching this and at a higher level it’s harmful for fish and corals.
Are you using rodi water for your salt and top off?

JBKReef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Had you been observing the fish? Did they get Ich/velvet? I would suspect a sick fish if it was within a week (and not immediately) after the cycle and checks you did.

Clear reef vision: How do you clean the inside of the glass on your aquarium?

• Razor blade

Votes: 128 59.5%
  • Plastic scraper

Votes: 63 29.3%
  • Clean-up crew

Votes: 77 35.8%
  • Magic eraser

Votes: 37 17.2%
  • Other

Votes: 63 29.3%
Back