New Derasa Clam Coming tomorrow - Need help locating in tank

Johnic

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have this new clam coming tomorrow and looking to place it on the sand (fine sand) with about 160par of light from my X15 Pro lights. Will this be ok ?

1695926628525.png

LagoonReefLife

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have this new clam coming tomorrow and looking to place it on the sand (fine sand) with about 160par of light from my X15 Pro lights. Will this be ok ?

1695926628525.png
I’ll say I recently lost a small Derasa clam after it starved out In 100~ μmol.
They need more than 160 μmol to grow and thrive.

minus9

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
You're going to need more light, so I would focus on providing the clam more light than worrying about parameters. I'm not saying you should ignore water parameters, but nutrient levels don't really matter much in this regard, especially NO3. I would suggest 200-250 as a starting point. A healthy growing clam might be able to adjust to slightly lower light, but it's not something I would suggest from the start. Also, you'll want a more "full" spectrum daylight, not heavy blues. Clams come from very shallow waters, so heavy blues are not favorable. Plus, clams look like crap under heavy blues, in fact I'm not sure why anyone would put a clam under heavy blues, as it kind of defeats the purpose of keeping the clam. In short, you're gonna need more light. Post a pic when you get it.

OP
OP
J

Johnic

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You're going to need more light, so I would focus on providing the clam more light than worrying about parameters. I'm not saying you should ignore water parameters, but nutrient levels don't really matter much in this regard, especially NO3. I would suggest 200-250 as a starting point. A healthy growing clam might be able to adjust to slightly lower light, but it's not something I would suggest from the start. Also, you'll want a more "full" spectrum daylight, not heavy blues. Clams come from very shallow waters, so heavy blues are not favorable. Plus, clams look like crap under heavy blues, in fact I'm not sure why anyone would put a clam under heavy blues, as it kind of defeats the purpose of keeping the clam. In short, you're gonna need more light. Post a pic when you get it.
Great feedback. I will adjust my lights to accommodate the clam and take readings.
Will send pic once I locate him in tank.

Form or function: Do you consider your rock work to be art or the platform for your coral?

• Primarily art focused.

Votes: 15 7.9%
  • Primarily a platform for coral.

Votes: 34 17.8%
  • A bit of each - both art and a platform.

Votes: 127 66.5%
  • Neither.

Votes: 9 4.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 3.1%
Back