New Derasa clam

  • Thread starter Thread starter octasnow
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users Tagged users None

octasnow

New Member
View Badges
Joined
Aug 31, 2026
Messages
4
Reaction score
2
What state or country do you live in
Alaska
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello I recently purchased a small derasa clam from my lfs and it has been in my tank for a little over a week. Ever since I put it in my tank ive noticed one end of the shells mantle dosent extend as far as the other end. Is this a normal occurrence or should I keep a closer eye on it? Besides that its very reactive to light and overall seems happy.
f403bf54-4981-45d6-aa05-3a90e0fe36e8.jpg
49e0caf9-49c7-495b-98d3-9e5f6147bade.jpg
6f3ae252-6220-4c81-996f-3f6310be4d5c.jpg
 
Looks familiar.

The clam looks normal to me.
Is there any Aiptasia, Vermitid or algae on the shell?
 
I looks happy, like my derasa, and there is white shell growth. If there is anything bothering them, you can brush them with a toothbrush and that will knock off any algae, etc. They close up for a while but open right back up soon after.
 
Thanks for the reply I appreciate it. That puts my mind at ease I still think I might need to try a few different spots on the sandbed because he keeps moving in little bits every day.
 
Thanks for the reply I appreciate it. That puts my mind at ease I still think I might need to try a few different spots on the sandbed because he keeps moving in little bits every day.
It’s completely normal for them to move around until they’re happy. I only intervene if they fall over on their side. If you have a general area, you want them to stay, you can put a flat rock under the sand and then sit them on top of the sand. They will attach their foot to the flat rock and stay in place a little better.
 
Alright cool ill keep that in mind thanks for the info i appreciate it.
 
It looks like that end was in lower light and not getting enough, which is why there's less growth on that end. Give it plenty of light (not all blue, full spectrum daylight) and some time. Just make sure you continue to see the new growth on the upper margins of the shell and you're good. Buy this book.
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT CHANGED THE MOST IN A FISH AS IT MATURED IN YOUR REEF?

  • Size or body shape

    Votes: 4 19.0%
  • Color or pattern

    Votes: 3 14.3%
  • Personality or confidence

    Votes: 1 4.8%
  • Aggression or territorial behavior

    Votes: 6 28.6%
  • Feeding habits

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Social behavior or bonding

    Votes: 5 23.8%
  • It really hasn’t changed much

    Votes: 1 4.8%
  • Something else (Tell us what I didn't think of)

    Votes: 1 4.8%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new