new Dry rock

fancy_fish101

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Evening reefers, I have a already established tank. And wanting to add more rock cuz I moved it to a bigger tank a while ago. I will be adding almost the same amount already in the tank. I have micro bacteria XLM if I can add that to help. But what to Make sure I don’t crash tank. I’m ok with a algae bloom. Thank you.

Spare time

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You shouldn't have any problems as long as the rock was in previously used by another aquarium. Just make sure to rinse all the dust off

mehaffydr

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is this used Dry rock or something new like Marco. If previously used I would super clean and even cure in brute can testing for Phosphates and running GFO if needed. If used it could have bound up phosphates that you do not want in you display.

OP
OP
F

fancy_fish101

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is this used Dry rock or something new like Marco. If previously used I would super clean and even cure in brute can testing for Phosphates and running GFO if needed. If used it could have bound up phosphates that you do not want in you display.
It’s new macro rock.

Jekyl

GSP is the devil and clowns are bad pets
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Evening reefers, I have a already established tank. And wanting to add more rock cuz I moved it to a bigger tank a while ago. I will be adding almost the same amount already in the tank. I have micro bacteria XLM if I can add that to help. But what to Make sure I don’t crash tank. I’m ok with a algae bloom. Thank you.
Old rock will take care of current bio load. New rock will be the same as when you started.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
XLM very good and accelarated bacteria product. You MAY get diatoms but will be fine with rock

t5Nitro

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Was looking to add a few pieces of old rock that I've had laying around. Think this thread means go ahead! Mine was bleached and dried and sitting for years. I'll likely give it a rinse under tap and then soak in a bucket of RODI for a few hours, then in it will go.

Spare time

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Was looking to add a few pieces of old rock that I've had laying around. Think this thread means go ahead! Mine was bleached and dried and sitting for years. I'll likely give it a rinse under tap and then soak in a bucket of RODI for a few hours, then in it will go.

If it was previously used, I would let it cure in a bucket for a bit before putting it in your tank,

t5Nitro

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If it was previously used, I would let it cure in a bucket for a bit before putting it in your tank,
The few pieces I have are old rocks gone through a bleach cure and then left dried sitting in the garage for another year. Would imagine a simple rinse and RODI soak would be sufficient.

Eggs

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve done this a few times (bleached rock that I left dry afterward, then added to the tank at some point later) with no issues.
Just rinse them off like you mentioned. Don’t forgot that you’ll have to remove some tank water due to the rock replacing (displacing) water volume.

Last edited:

Looking back to your reefing roots: Did you start with Instant Ocean salt?

• I started with Instant Ocean salt.

Votes: 185 72.8%
  • I did not start with Instant Ocean salt, but I have used it at some point.

Votes: 17 6.7%
  • I did not start with Instant Ocean salt and have not used it.

Votes: 46 18.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 2.4%
Back