New elegance coral. Is this an indo or Australian

SaltISlife

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So i bought this elegance for 250$ 6 days ago. Put it in my qt tabk. Did 5 days of antibiotics. ( i recently had an bacterial infection killing my lps so i dont trust just dipping corals and then putting em in my tank right away anymore)

I just put it in my 135 gallon yesturday and it immediatly opened up and looks great. I habe it in semi low flow. Just enough to move the tentacles bsck and forth and thats it.

Its on the bottom of my tank. Half of it is shaded partially by an overhang above. I also found a flat rock i had which has a ( U ) indention in the middle and it fits the skeleton of this elegance perfectly. I wanted to keep the flesh especially the rim of the elegance off the sand bed.

My question is.. what are these things on the skeleton. It has what looks like red algae with tiny arms on in random spots. And also it looks like it has a clam living on it i think. I saw it open and then close when i shined a light on it.

Is this clam a pest ? What about the red things ?

20210202_045322.jpg Screenshot_20210202-045347_Gallery.jpg 20210202_043259.jpg 20210202_043308.jpg 20210202_043533.jpg 20210201_200100.jpg

fluked

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The red things look like they might be red planaria flat worms, i had some in my tank until i got my wrasses.

OP
OP
S

SaltISlife

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Na its stationary. Its a growth for sure some kind of algae or something

Tamberav

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That’s good ole real ocean growing on that coral :p It personality would not worry me a bit.

Beautiful elegance.

OP
OP
S

SaltISlife

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Any idea about the clam or oyster or whatever thats on it ?

OP
OP
S

SaltISlife

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Anyone ? Is it a indo or aussi elegance. And what about the other questions ?

PghReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Only seller could say for sure but I'd take a guess it's an aussie.

I find every elegance I've ever bought has sponge growing in the skeleton. Not sure if it's harmful or not but that's not sponge there on yours. If the coral retracts a lot around that area is be concerned, if not let it live.

Dkmoo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks like indo to me. From what I've read the cone shaped ones are more indo, the flat wall shapes are aussie.

Gtinnel

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Na its stationary. Its a growth for sure some kind of algae or something
When I first got red flatworms I also thought they were specs of algea because they didn't move. It wasn't until I sucked one up and into a filter bag that I ever saw movement. I agree that the red places look like flatworms.

fluked

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Only seller could say for sure but I'd take a guess it's an aussie.

I find every elegance I've ever bought has sponge growing in the skeleton. Not sure if it's harmful or not but that's not sponge there on yours. If the coral retracts a lot around that area is be concerned, if not let it live.
My elegance has a bunch of sponges on it, they dont seem to bother it so i just let them be.

PghReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My elegance has a bunch of sponges on it, they dont seem to bother it so i just let them be.
I've often wondered if they cause irritation and tissue regression as they seem to be some sort of encrusting sponge that also go right to the living tissue. Alwaya yellow as well. I never see any tissue damage or problems so just let it go, maybe it's some unknown, unstudied mutually beneficial relationship.

OP
OP
S

SaltISlife

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When I first got red flatworms I also thought they were specs of algea because they didn't move. It wasn't until I sucked one up and into a filter bag that I ever saw movement. I agree that the red places look like flatworms.
Theyre not flatworms they were in the same spot today as yesturday and days prior. Plus i dipped it. They dont come off when i touch em either i gatta scrap it off. They also have raised fuzzy arms too.

If its a barnacle should i remove it ?

The coral is from quality marine. No idea where they got it from though

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 60 39.7%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 34 22.5%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 51 33.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 4.0%
Back