Pumpkin Flatworms on Elegance Coral?

Bitcoin Reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Any ideas what this is on my Elegance? He’s been shrinking up and doesn’t look good. I notice there’s spots on his tentacles. He is shrunken to 1/3 of his normal size and it’s been happening gradually over the last month or two. Thanks in advance!

IMG_0444.jpeg IMG_0443.jpeg IMG_0447.jpeg IMG_0523.jpeg IMG_0522.jpeg

DJF

know less, learn more
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Planaria? They love elegance corals. A short term fix is a fresh water dip. Natural fix: wrasses (check compatibility), chemical fix: flatworm exit (follow guides)

OP
OP
Bitcoin Reefer

Bitcoin Reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Planaria? They love elegance corals. A short term fix is a fresh water dip. Natural fix: wrasses (check compatibility), chemical fix: flatworm exit (follow guides)
I just found another thread also suggesting to dip.

I have one 6 line wrasse, tank is large 360gallons.

Which dip should I use I have two. Will either work?

Koran MD by Brightwell, active ingredients “proprietary essential natural plant oils, and proprietary cleaners”

Coral induction bath DipX by Red Sea, doesn’t say ingredients but says: Contains: 1.5% herbal extracts (includes Thyme and Clove)

OP
OP
Bitcoin Reefer

Bitcoin Reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just found another thread also suggesting to dip.

I have one 6 line wrasse, tank is large 360gallons.

Which dip should I use I have two. Will either work?

Koran MD by Brightwell, active ingredients “proprietary essential natural plant oils, and proprietary cleaners”

Coral induction bath DipX by Red Sea, doesn’t say ingredients but says: Contains: 1.5% herbal extracts (includes Thyme and Clove)
Ok so I tried KoralMD, and WOW right when I dropped Elegance Coral in the dip, I can see the spots on it COME TO LIFE running around like madmen, then dropping off the coral flesh, i shook it around a lot/let it soak for like 10-13 minutes, then put it into some clean tank water should it some more to get any remaining that stayed on off and check if more were coming, only saw maybe 1, but hard to tell because other gunk came off from me scrubbing the skeleton of all kinds of feather dusters, vermetids, and who knows what else was all over it.

If I had to guess, it was hundreds of flatworms/planaria? that dropped off. They were clearish pink. I think maybe flatworm shape more than planaria? I'll post some photos maybe someone can tell.

Dropped it back in tank, waiting for it to come back out as it's hiding in it's skeleton mostly :)

DJF

know less, learn more
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In my experience for planaria flatworms on lps a freshwater dip works best. They will detach almost immediately. There is plenty of info out there how to do a freshwater dip. Please doublecheck what I’m stating. What I have done is get rodi to the same temp as tank (float a container for 30ish mins). Put the coral in the same temp water & gently baste the flatworms away from the elegance and return to saltwater. Won’t take long- they detach immediately. important to note that this just gives the elegance some relief. 1 six line in a 360g could stand some help though it might disagree :)

OP
OP
Bitcoin Reefer

Bitcoin Reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In my experience for planaria flatworms on lps a freshwater dip works best. They will detach almost immediately. There is plenty of info out there how to do a freshwater dip. Please doublecheck what I’m stating. What I have done is get rodi to the same temp as tank (float a container for 30ish mins). Put the coral in the same temp water & gently baste the flatworms away from the elegance and return to saltwater. Won’t take long- they detach immediately. important to note that this just gives the elegance some relief. 1 six line in a 360g could stand some help though it might disagree :)
Thanks for the advice :)

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 22 13.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 6.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 23 14.3%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 93 57.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 11 6.8%
Back