New Experiment.... Nitrate Dosing with Spectracide Stump Remover

Pete polyp

acro serial killer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Pete that would be ideal. But it's not that simple finding a balance without a skimmer
If you're skimming and having issues with no nitrates then it's as simple as to stop skimming or putting your skimmer on a timer.

Pete polyp

acro serial killer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i have no skimmer.

i dose 20 ml of seachem flourish nitrogen daily to retain 5ppm no3.

twilliards method is cheaper over the long term. i use the seachem stuff because it is readily available and ive already done my tests with it.

call me lazy i guess.
I have the same issue. Dosing nitrate should be a last resort. If any other way possible to increase nitrate then I would suggest that route. I have been dosing stump remover for about a year and a half. I have tried everything else before starting to dose.

iiluisii

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i have no skimmer.

i dose 20 ml of seachem flourish nitrogen daily to retain 5ppm no3.

twilliards method is cheaper over the long term. i use the seachem stuff because it is readily available and ive already done my tests with it.

call me lazy i guess.
A 60 gallon with no sand minimalist rock scape and 10 fish 2 being nice size tangs I I remove the skimmer I'm sure the nutrients will build up but beyond my control.
ImageUploadedByREEF2REEF1445745558.354538.jpg

OP
OP
roadrashpaul

roadrashpaul

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Luis they are not saying remove it completely but maybe only run it every other day. See what that does. I tried that a couple weeks back and I couldn't tell a difference in anything but I also didn't have a test kit then either. I have found that the more I feed the more algae I get so I believe it would only raise P for me.

OP
OP
roadrashpaul

roadrashpaul

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Got a question for Russ or Todd or anyone experienced with this, I have been dosing vinegar for over a year. I do it more for the bacteria to help feed coral than anything. Do I need to stop that? Am I countering the nitrate dosing with the vinegar dosing?

I am going to post day 1 results in just a minute. Waiting the 9 minutes....

OP
OP
roadrashpaul

roadrashpaul

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Day 1 Results

24 hours after dosing I am showing 0 nitrates. Not sure if the tank ate it up that quick or if my test kit is bad. I didn't get a chance to test after I dosed yesterday but I will dose today and test 2 hours after. Will report my findings later.

Phosphates are in the .02-.04 range. Slight drop but could be coincidental.

No noticeable changes to coral. Not that I would expect anything after 1 day anyway.

Last edited:

iiluisii

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Got a question for Russ or Todd or anyone experienced with this, I have been dosing vinegar for over a year. I do it more for the bacteria to help feed coral than anything. Do I need to stop that? Am I countering the nitrate dosing with the vinegar dosing?

I am going to post day 1 results in just a minute. Waiting the 9 minutes....
That's because it won't do anything. When you have a nitrate depleted system and you remove the skimmer the only thing that will rise is phosphates and yes nitrates might start rising after a long time but if the rock and bacteria can handle it which is the case in my tank then I will still be with no nitrates.

OP
OP
roadrashpaul

roadrashpaul

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
2 hours after dosing this morning my N is between .75 and 1 ppm. I believe my tank is eating it up. I will wait another hour or so and dose again to see if I can get it up to around 2-3ppm and then recheck. I will report back later.

tcoyle

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have been using the stump remover for a bout a month. I am keeping my No3 at 2ppm and I am seeing some color starting to come back to my corals. I need to get my phosphate up as well as it is still reading 0ppm.

When I first started dosing No3 one of my Orange Monti's turned grey. I asked Randy in another thread if this could be a lack of Potassium or too much from adding the stump remover. He said he highly doubted it would have much if any effect on it.

iiluisii

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have been using the stump remover for a bout a month. I am keeping my No3 at 2ppm and I am seeing some color starting to come back to my corals. I need to get my phosphate up as well as it is still reading 0ppm.

When I first started dosing No3 one of my Orange Monti's turned grey. I asked Randy in another thread if this could be a lack of Potassium or too much from adding the stump remover. He said he highly doubted it would have much if any effect on it.
Tim which one you are using?

iiluisii

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Started tonight. I added 5 tbs to 500ml of water and dosed 5 ml to try and get my nitrates to 2 ppm. I used an old bottle I had of Red Sea potassium to put the liquid on.
ImageUploadedByREEF2REEF1445828948.236363.jpg

OP
OP
roadrashpaul

roadrashpaul

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Day 2 results

Nitrates were between .5 and .75 this morning. I dosed a total of 26ml yesterday. 16 first thing and 10 around lunch. I doses 20 this morning and will check this afternoon to see where I am at.

No chage in coral yet but it is still very early. I did notice some brown on the sand. Not sure of it is from the nitrates or gfo exhausted. I am wanting to wean off the gfo anyway and quit using it.

iiluisii

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Day 2 results

Nitrates were between .5 and .75 this morning. I dosed a total of 26ml yesterday. 16 first thing and 10 around lunch. I doses 20 this morning and will check this afternoon to see where I am at.

No chage in coral yet but it is still very early. I did notice some brown on the sand. Not sure of it is from the nitrates or gfo exhausted. I am wanting to wean off the gfo anyway and quit using it.
Are you still carbon dosing?

mocika

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
One month ago i was dosing NaNo3to rise my nitrates. I was dosing slowly and had a great result in my LPS corals. Also my Po4 was going down but also i get some brown film on my sand. After that i was afraid and i just stop. Now my nitrates are down to 0 and LPS are not happy again... want to try again with dosing but i dont want to have algae issues.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 45 20.5%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 76 34.5%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 73 33.2%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 21 9.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 2.3%
Back