New Fairy Wrasse Upside Down on Bottom

EastCoastScaping

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I recently got a ruby longfin fairy wrasse from liveaquaria (1 week ago). For the past 3 days hes been upside down on the bottom of the tank, sitting still. He still tries to eat whenever i put in pe calanus or mysis shrimp. He looks healthy, not skinny, or dull colors or marking on his body. I acclimated him slowly to the tank, temp first then slowly mixed their water. Water pararmeters are, 1.025 salinity, 0.3ppm po4, alk of 11.0 and No3 of 10ppm. Any help would be appreciated

cmharper50

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I recently got a ruby longfin fairy wrasse from liveaquaria (1 week ago). For the past 3 days hes been upside down on the bottom of the tank, sitting still. He still tries to eat whenever i put in pe calanus or mysis shrimp. He looks healthy, not skinny, or dull colors or marking on his body. I acclimated him slowly to the tank, temp first then slowly mixed their water. Water pararmeters are, 1.025 salinity, 0.3ppm po4, alk of 11.0 and No3 of 10ppm. Any help would be appreciated
It seems he’s in shock, but since he is trying to eat he could recover. I’d suggest putting him in a breeder box and feeding him and looking after him in there. I had a bicolor angel fish do the same for a few days and recover so I hope the same happens for the little guy. Also look up some issues for fish that could occur during shipping, he could be constipated as well, since fish are really stressed during shipping. Try feeding him peas without the skin and only a few at a time. I hope this helps!

fishguy242

Cronies..... INSERT BUILD THREAD BADGE HERE !!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
pic or video, may help when expert help arrives

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Usually, a fish upside down is moribund, and I’ve had only a few come back from that brink. Interestingly, last year we had a new fairy wrasse do exactly the same thing. It had no symptoms to treat and it was eating, so I just let it go. Finally, after a couple of weeks, my staff said they felt sorry for it, so we euthanized it. Sorry, but the necropsy didn’t show us what was wrong with it.

Jay Hemdal

OP
OP
EastCoastScaping

EastCoastScaping

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I can get a picture later today when the lights turn on. The thing that seems weird to me was after 1 day he was swimming about and eating. This all started roughly 3.5 days after adding him to the tank. My clownfish and damsel are both fine, which brings me to believe its not the water.

OP
OP
EastCoastScaping

EastCoastScaping

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It seems he’s in shock, but since he is trying to eat he could recover. I’d suggest putting him in a breeder box and feeding him and looking after him in there. I had a bicolor angel fish do the same for a few days and recover so I hope the same happens for the little guy. Also look up some issues for fish that could occur during shipping, he could be constipated as well, since fish are really stressed during shipping. Try feeding him peas without the skin and only a few at a time. I hope this helps!

How much do you care about having a display FREE of wires, pumps and equipment?

• Want it squeaky clean! Wires be danged!

Votes: 76 44.4%
  • A few things are ok with me!

Votes: 79 46.2%
  • No care at all! Bring it on!

Votes: 16 9.4%
Back