New Firefish not settling in

Elmo Putney

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Greetings. I put a new purple Firefish in the tank on Monday, and he isn’t doing as well as I’d like. He was extremely difficult to catch in the shop, so I imagine he was very stressed by the time he got in my tank. He went straight to the bottom corner of the tank hiding and hasn’t come out to explore yet. I’ve been target feeding him when I feed the tank and he is eating plenty but he does seem a bit stressed out. Most of the time he is swimming normally, just in that small area but when I go near the tank he pushes himself up against a rock and lays there fairly still. Water parameters are fine, i acclimated him as I normally would, and I use the exact same seawater they use in the shop so he hasn’t had to adjust to a big change there. Is it normal to take this long for him to get used to his new home?

Kmst80

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Greetings. I put a new purple Firefish in the tank on Monday, and he isn’t doing as well as I’d like. He was extremely difficult to catch in the shop, so I imagine he was very stressed by the time he got in my tank. He went straight to the bottom corner of the tank hiding and hasn’t come out to explore yet. I’ve been target feeding him when I feed the tank and he is eating plenty but he does seem a bit stressed out. Most of the time he is swimming normally, just in that small area but when I go near the tank he pushes himself up against a rock and lays there fairly still. Water parameters are fine, i acclimated him as I normally would, and I use the exact same seawater they use in the shop so he hasn’t had to adjust to a big change there. Is it normal to take this long for him to get used to his new home?
Give him time. When i bought my Zebra angels home it took the male 3 weeks before he came out of his cave in the rockwork. Just blow some food towards his hidy hole and don't check to often, let him come out natually.
Firefish are very timid.

Sophie"s mom

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When I got one, he did the same, and I actually thought he died because he disappeared for like 3 months! But then showed up one day still looking very healthy. I have no clue what he ate or when. Strange and highly skittish little guy for sure. Make very sure no escape holes are in your lid, they are phenomenal jumpers

Last edited:

Cell

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Needs hiding spots in the rocks if there are none. What size tank is this?

Malum Argenteum

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use the exact same seawater they use in the shop so he hasn’t had to adjust to a big change there
Your salinity, temp, pH and other parameters are likely not the same (LFS is likely to be lower than your tank on these three metrics). I'm not saying this is an issue in this situation, but worth noting that this assumption isn't accurate.

Floyd-

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My firefish is over a year old and only comes out of his cave when its feeding time. They are very timid fish and love just hiding. Such a shame because he is a beautiful fish.

How much do you care about having a display FREE of wires, pumps and equipment?

• Want it squeaky clean! Wires be danged!

Votes: 74 45.1%
  • A few things are ok with me!

Votes: 75 45.7%
  • No care at all! Bring it on!

Votes: 15 9.1%
Back