New fish chasing

MN_ReeferKev

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Question for you all (as I know it will be different for everyone)

How long does the dominant fish in your tank usually chase new additions?

Billldg

My Gem Tang Is Watching You
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I really depends on the fish. Are their plenty of hiding spots for the other fish to hide when chased? The truth is it really never stops, it just settles down. I have 4 Blue/Green Chromis that have lived with each other for over 2 years with a specified pecking order and they still chase each other around, but the understand their position in the tank so it's not a big deal.

OP
OP
MN_ReeferKev

MN_ReeferKev

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes there are plenty of hiding spots and it seems like "safe spots" where the chasing stops, and its not relentless. I was just curious on what people usually see. One interesting thing which I have never seen before is he even seems to be chasing fish that he wouldn't normally chase (not very often however, but still interesting), almost as if to reassert dominance over the tank.

homer1475

Figuring out the hobby one coral at a time.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Really depends on the fish.

I've had some where one chase was enough, and others that still chase whenever a certain fish gets within their eye sight.

I currently have a melagris leopard, and a moyers leopard. Everything says they should get along fine. 6 months now, and my melagris still chases the moyers whenever the moyers gets within eye sight.

Billldg

My Gem Tang Is Watching You
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes there are plenty of hiding spots and it seems like "safe spots" where the chasing stops, and its not relentless. I was just curious on what people usually see. One interesting thing which I have never seen before is he even seems to be chasing fish that he wouldn't normally chase (not very often however, but still interesting), almost as if to reassert dominance over the tank.
Its because by adding the fish to the tank upset the pecking order, which in truth is great, it spreads the stress in the tank and not allow it to be one on one.

OP
OP
MN_ReeferKev

MN_ReeferKev

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Really depends on the fish.

I've had some where one chase was enough, and others that still chase whenever a certain fish gets within their eye sight.

I currently have a melagris leopard, and a moyers leopard. Everything says they should get along fine. 6 months now, and my melagris still chases the moyers whenever the moyers gets within eye sight.
I have a 100g DT so in my tank that would be about every 10 seconds haha

OP
OP
MN_ReeferKev

MN_ReeferKev

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Its because by adding the fish to the tank upset the pecking order, which in truth is great, it spreads the stress in the tank and not allow it to be one on one.
I figured this was it, and like you said, it is nice that it keeps the new fish from being the only target

Back