New Fish Die within a week

emmo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Dude, I'm asking for solutions. I understand your point which is the reason I'm here.
I've had a similar experience. Almost all of my fish have been in my tank for over 5 years some more than 8 and are all strong and healthy. I have tried adding a few over the last year or so and they last for a few weeks or so looking strong and then just are gone. I stopped trying to add fish.

Sebastiancrab

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Current quarantine protocol

Jay Hemdal thread

I am out of town and don't have my laptop and can't pull it with my tablet but I did find it. Email Jay if you still can't locate it.

Good Luck!

OP
OP
R

RandyRovegno

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
TANK UPDATE:

I've since upgraded to a newer 120g. I used a combo of saltwater from my trusted LFS and some RODI with mixed salt. It cycled and I started with a few chromis (I'm now up to 3.) THE SAME issue is happening in a completely new tank. New fish live a week or two (sometimes 3) and then die. I had a clown and bicolor angel who never seemed to eat so I get those. But I had a Powder Brown who was eating, moving, and looked great for 3 weeks and then died overnight. Now I have 3 Chromis and a Toby Box Puffer who is doing well.

I also have a half dozen coral frags (Duncan and some hard ones) that aren't doing well but a few (toadstool, Xenia, and torch) are ok.

If you look above in the post, you can see my acclimation process. I MIGHT try the suggested 2 fish (one in my display and one in QT)

Parameters:
Salinity: 36PTT (Trying to keep it closer to 35)
Temp: 79
PH: 8
NI: 0
NA: 0
Ammonia: 0
Phos: Between 0-.25 (Test kit isn't that specific)

My LFS pro is baffled.

Keilo2000

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
same issue lost 8 - 9 all died with un a week I now have only Goby in there who survived 5 I stopped adding any for now and do a full copper treatment and then a water change and a other copper treatment will see what happens after
I have 3 tanks in total and only one caused me this bad issues.

brandon429

why did you put a reef in that
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The steps:

remove all fish from anyone’s tank that are dying

go fallow 80 days don’t do the short version, do the good job extra mile version

do not add anything wet from the pet store unless it goes through a separate fallow tank thereafter, read Jays article “biosecurity”

quarantine all fish minimum thirty days before adding and pre treat in quarantine any highly inclined species, read up during qt which species are best observed and which ones are best treated medically right off the bat

changing tanks did not remove disease components it transferred them, starve by fallow.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 16 17.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 4 4.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 16 17.6%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 47 51.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 8.8%
Back