New fish for controlling GHA

  • Thread starter Thread starter PaddSter
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users Tagged users None
How about a nice urchin? They are algae killers
 
Your best bet to have anything eat it is to rip out what you can. They all tend to do better eating it when it's not long in length
 
I did consider urchins the one mentioned on 1st page. My LFS hasn't got ATM so just went for emerald crabs for now.

Keep an eye on those emerald crabs. I just had to move my male emerald crab to the QT because he decided he was tired of normal food and started attacking corals instead :mad:
 
This danger goes with nearly everything
That's why reefing is so much fun
Sure! However somethings are more common knowledge than others. Like emerald craps will attack corals, however ive never heard of cleaner shrimps exhibiting that same behavior. ‍♂
 
I would consider some inverts or CUC before a fish. A single fish would have to be a huge glutton to make a dent in a moderately overgrown GHA situation.
I had been thru the ringer on my sons tank with GHA. About 2 weeks ago I ordered another CUC and 80% of the GHA is gone. There was already many of these species in the tank but for some reason the new CUC gang has done the best compared to Rowaphos, Phosban, trying different foods, and cutting feeding back by 75%.
The only other change within the last couple months was the addition of a Bubble Magus filter roller. Which versus previous filter floss or socks in the sump has helped with lowering NO3 and PO4 noticeably.
Sons tank is a 65 with Trigger 26” sump. The clean up crew had the following. I substituted other snails and hermits in place of the onyx nassarius.
Astraea Snails​
16
Nerite Snails​
22
Margarita Snails​
22
Turbo Snails​
6
(Onyx Nass) Substituted for other hermits and snails​
30
Red Leg Reef Hermit Crabs​
22
Blue Leg Hermit Crabs​
22
Emerald Crabs​
2
 
I would consider some inverts or CUC before a fish. A single fish would have to be a huge glutton to make a dent in a moderately overgrown GHA situation.
I had been thru the ringer on my sons tank with GHA. About 2 weeks ago I ordered another CUC and 80% of the GHA is gone. There was already many of these species in the tank but for some reason the new CUC gang has done the best compared to Rowaphos, Phosban, trying different foods, and cutting feeding back by 75%.
The only other change within the last couple months was the addition of a Bubble Magus filter roller. Which versus previous filter floss or socks in the sump has helped with lowering NO3 and PO4 noticeably.
Sons tank is a 65 with Trigger 26” sump. The clean up crew had the following. I substituted other snails and hermits in place of the onyx nassarius.
​
Astraea Snails​
16
Nerite Snails​
22
Margarita Snails​
22
Turbo Snails​
6
(Onyx Nass) Substituted for other hermits and snails​
30
Red Leg Reef Hermit Crabs​
22
Blue Leg Hermit Crabs​
22
Emerald Crabs​
2

Astrea snails flip and die creating more algae. AVOID at all costs
 
Even better, get an really large algae scrubber to greatly reduce what caused the problem to begin with. I love sea hares, but they almost always find a way to die in a powerhead!!!!!
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT IS THE LOUDEST PART OF YOUR REEF SYSTEM?

  • Return pump

    Votes: 8 5.1%
  • Powerheads or wavemakers

    Votes: 11 7.1%
  • Protein skimmer

    Votes: 27 17.3%
  • Overflow or drain

    Votes: 53 34.0%
  • Sump vibration or plumbing

    Votes: 2 1.3%
  • Cooling fans

    Votes: 11 7.1%
  • Dosing, ATO, or other equipment

    Votes: 10 6.4%
  • Nothing. My reef is surprisingly quiet

    Votes: 24 15.4%
  • Other (Tell us what makes the noise)

    Votes: 10 6.4%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new