New fish room build help

Chris Kunz

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello!

I am currently working on finishing up my unfinished basement. I have a room that is 23 ft x 11 ft. On one end of the room I plan on walling it off to install an in wall fish tank that is 96x30x30 inches. I can access behind the tank from another room. I plan on not putting any flooring in the area where the fish tank will be, so it will just be sitting on concrete. I also plan on using cement board in that area instead of standard drywall. The saltwater mixing station and quarantine tanks will be in a different area, so I don’t need room behind the tank for these.

So a few quick questions

1 – How much area would you give yourself behind the tank? I don’t want to make the viewing room to small. The tank is 30” deep, so I was thinking about making the room 60”? I would still have a few feet on each side of the tank to store things?

2 – How many outlets would you give yourself for a setup like this? I was going to give it its own 20a breaker. Is that overkill? Not enough?

3- Is there anything else I am missing that you think would be a good idea since I am starting this tank/room from scratch?

Thanks for all the help!

Reefing Madness

Carbon Doser
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
1568566745660.png

WVNed

The fish are staring at me with hungry eyes.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I put in 2 circuits with 10 outlets per circuit. They are almost full. It takes a lot of stuff to run an 8 foot tank.
If the sump is under the tank and you have to get down to work on it it is going to be tight.

jt17

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Consider making the stand bigger than the tank so you have a place to stand to work in the tank. 60” could be be a little tight. It helps to map it out on paper. It’s nice to have space for the future in case you want to add a frag tank or something.

At least one 20 amp circuit. That’s a big tank and will need quite a bit of equipment. I run 2 return pumps, each on a different circuit.

It’s nice to have a utility sink in the fish room.

An exhaust fan is helpful to evacuate to co2 and humidity.

There pics of my fish room on my build thread that may help

WVNed

The fish are staring at me with hungry eyes.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Move your couch out from the wall 30 inches and pretend you are working on a really big skimmer to clean it behind it.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 99 87.6%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 6 5.3%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 5 4.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.7%
Back