New fish Vs Established fish. Who wins?

reefinginBD

Well-Known Member
View Badges
Joined
Feb 6, 2021
Messages
705
Reaction score
225
Location
Bangladesh
What state or country do you live in
Other International
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey guys so I have a 5x2x2 feet 150 gallon reef tank. It nearing 1.5 years old. The fish and inverts that I currently have are:
1 Clownfish
1 Blue Tang
1 Tomini Tang
1 Yellow Tang (To be added soon)
1 Purple Firefish
1 Midas blenny
5 Chromis
1 Cleaner wrasse
1 Ornate Leopard wrasse
Some Nassarius snails
Several Trochus snails
2 Sand sifting starfish

What I want:
3 Pyramid Butterfly
1 Threadfin Hawkfish
1 Royal Gramma
1 Yellow Coris Wrasse
1 Naoko Wrasse
1 Red head Solon Wrasse
1 White Leopard Wrasse
1 Earmuff Wrasse

From what I read so far all the Wrasses should be fine and so should the Pyramid Butterfly trio. Although I’m a little worried that they might nip at some of my corals, so if you have any experience/knowledge on that please do share it! About the Royal Gramma from what I read so far, it should be fine, so please do confirm on that. I’m worried that it might cause problems with the Purple Firefish and or the Midas Blenny, although I read the same when adding this Blenny with the Firefish and so far they have been model citizens with no interactions whatsoever. Finally the most important question that I have is about the Threadfin Hawkfish (I will still update you guys once I get its exact scientific name so that the one I’m talking about is accurate). So, I, worried that it will eat the snails that I have in the tank, do let me know if that will be an issue. And most importantly I am also worried that it will get into conflicts with the Royal Gramma, Midas Blenny and Purple Firefish, so please do let me know about that. Will these new fish cause problems with my old fish? Will these outcompete them or not? Do let me know!

TIA!
 
This is what the tank looks like so far. I’ve had some issues with the water chemistry a while back and had some coral die off but they are recovering well so far. This is just to give you an idea on the places I have for the fish to hide and everything.
 

Attachments

  • C7CF1A0C-4B63-4971-9B4C-0EB893CB611B.jpeg
    C7CF1A0C-4B63-4971-9B4C-0EB893CB611B.jpeg
    70.4 KB · Views: 131
  • 25F0E3C9-E181-41B6-8F73-D7E37A4976C9.jpeg
    25F0E3C9-E181-41B6-8F73-D7E37A4976C9.jpeg
    91.8 KB · Views: 125
Which of these fish should I not get then? The coris and leopard will be in the sand and the other wrasses in the rock work if I’m not wrong. Also you can’t really tell but the rock work goes all the way back to the back wall with only a 2 or so inch gap. So like it has much more rock than it looks like from the front (not trying to justify wanting to add so many fish. Just want to know which ones I shouldn’t add)
 
I would skip the butterflies, those specific fairy wrasses can be somewhat aggressive so hit or miss there, royal gramma should be fine, hawkfish are potential huge jerks, all the sand sleepers will be fine
 
Honestly youre really pushing it. Those butterflies get way bigger than mist realize, I would skip those all together. Maybe 3 of the smaller fish on your list.. but you really dont have the rockwork for that many fish and thats a TON of sand burrowing wrasse for your size tank to be honest
 
As others have noted, your rock work is minimal. I would add double the rock you have and a good option is buying some live rock from a reputable fish store. Half live and half dry would also work. Get creative and look online at different aquscapes. With more rock your fish will be a lot happier and have places to hide and sleep.
 
I would skip the butterflies, those specific fairy wrasses can be somewhat aggressive so hit or miss there, royal gramma should be fine, hawkfish are potential huge jerks, all the sand sleepers will be fine
Okay I’ll do that. Then no butterfly, just the wrasses, royal gramma and Hawkfish (would it be worth it to take the risk? It’s only 12 bucks). I’m planning on adding some more sand to the tank, just because of the number of wrasses I have as well, let me know if that’s a good idea.
 
Honestly youre really pushing it. Those butterflies get way bigger than mist realize, I would skip those all together. Maybe 3 of the smaller fish on your list.. but you really dont have the rockwork for that many fish and thats a TON of sand burrowing wrasse for your size tank to be honest
Okay I’ll skip the butterflies completely then. You said to keep maybe three of the fish, so which ones would you suggest from that list? Is there any in specific? Or can I just choose any? Do let me know about the Hawkfish tho.
 
Okay I’ll skip the butterflies completely then. You said to keep maybe three of the fish, so which ones would you suggest from that list? Is there any in specific? Or can I just choose any? Do let me know about the Hawkfish tho.

If it were me, I would do the royal gramma, all the sand sleepers, and one of the fairy, whichever you like more. Just be sure you have a lid with the fairy. They are way more jumpy than the sand sleepers.

Make sure to get female leopards, multiple males doesn’t always work but mixing females goes pretty well.

The main thing isn’t the cost, if the hawk is a problem, how do you plan to catch it? If you think you can get it out then you could try to add it last. They are basically a crap shoot fish, one hawkfish is a terror and the next one is totally fine.
 
If I’m not wrong all the wrasses mentioned here are sand sleepers except for the Naoko and the Red Head Solon Wrasse. So I’ll just pick one of those two to add to the tank. Probably the Red Head Solon because from my research it is much more peaceful than the Naoko.

Yeah the ornate leopard is already a female and I’ll make sure to get another female white leopard as well if I find one.

Well yeah cost is definitely not the main thing. About the Hawkfish if it does go rogue I plan on catching it with a trap like I did with all my other fish. That’s the plan for now atleast. What do you think?
 
If it were me, I would do the royal gramma, all the sand sleepers, and one of the fairy, whichever you like more. Just be sure you have a lid with the fairy. They are way more jumpy than the sand sleepers.

Make sure to get female leopards, multiple males doesn’t always work but mixing females goes pretty well.

The main thing isn’t the cost, if the hawk is a problem, how do you plan to catch it? If you think you can get it out then you could try to add it last. They are basically a crap shoot fish, one hawkfish is a terror and the next one is totally fine.
Sorry to bother you again but I did find a long nose Hawkfish. Do let me know if that is any better. Or else I’ll just skip the Hawkfish completely as well.
 
Okay I’ll skip the butterflies completely then. You said to keep maybe three of the fish, so which ones would you suggest from that list? Is there any in specific? Or can I just choose any? Do let me know about the Hawkfish tho.
If you dont have any shrimp you are fine there! My hawkfish is a butt I will say, he likes to beef with all my large fish. Dude had 3 homes before me because of his attitude lol. As far as the wrasses Im not a wrasse person, I do predatory and aggressive wrasses only. @Slocke @i cant think would be able go help
 
If I’m not wrong all the wrasses mentioned here are sand sleepers except for the Naoko and the Red Head Solon Wrasse. So I’ll just pick one of those two to add to the tank. Probably the Red Head Solon because from my research it is much more peaceful than the Naoko.

Yeah the ornate leopard is already a female and I’ll make sure to get another female white leopard as well if I find one.

Well yeah cost is definitely not the main thing. About the Hawkfish if it does go rogue I plan on catching it with a trap like I did with all my other fish. That’s the plan for now atleast. What do you think?
Red head is more aggressive. You have to take size into account and Naoko are much smaller. Also I don't consider them aggressive rather they are, in my opinion, just exuberant displayers
IMG_5015.jpeg
 
Sorry to bother you again but I did find a long nose Hawkfish. Do let me know if that is any better. Or else I’ll just skip the Hawkfish completely as well.

they can all potentially be butts though I think longnose are one of the better ones but you have some easily bullied fish and I would personally not risk it and save a hawk for more robust tankmate types. I would see red if one went after my wrasse.

As other have pointed out, you have a lot of fish for your scape, whether it goes back or not, it is pretty minimal tank scape which inherently carries more risk.
 
they can all potentially be butts though I think longnose are one of the better ones but you have some easily bullied fish and I would personally not risk it and save a hawk for more robust tankmate types. I would see red if one went after my wrasse.

As other have pointed out, you have a lot of fish for your scape, whether it goes back or not, it is pretty minimal tank scape which inherently carries more risk.
Agreed. Mine is in a predator/aggressive tank and he still likes causing drama with fish like 20 times his size 😂 likes to beef with the eels too.
 
If you dont have any shrimp you are fine there! My hawkfish is a butt I will say, he likes to beef with all my large fish. Dude had 3 homes before me because of his attitude lol. As far as the wrasses Im not a wrasse person, I do predatory and aggressive wrasses only. @Slocke @i cant think would be able go help
they can all potentially be butts though I think longnose are one of the better ones but you have some easily bullied fish and I would personally not risk it and save a hawk for more robust tankmate types. I would see red if one went after my wrasse.

As other have pointed out, you have a lot of fish for your scape, whether it goes back or not, it is pretty minimal tank scape which inherently carries more risk.
Agreed. Mine is in a predator/aggressive tank and he still likes causing drama with fish like 20 times his size 😂 likes to beef with the eels too.
Thanks for the help guys! I’ll skip the hawk for now then.

Royal Gramma
Yellow Coris wrasse
Naoko wrasse
Red head Solon wrasse
White leopard wrasse
Earmuff wrasse

Just have to decide on the wrasses then. I’ll get the Yellow Coris soon and hopefully the royal gramma as well, will have to decide on the other wrasses.
 
Red head is more aggressive. You have to take size into account and Naoko are much smaller. Also I don't consider them aggressive rather they are, in my opinion, just exuberant displayers
IMG_5015.jpeg
Oh, then after getting the yellow coris and possibly the royal gramma, I’ll wait a bit for them to settle in. Then I would be better off with the naoko along with the white leopard, earmuff is what you are saying as compared to the royal gramma, yellow coris, white leopard, earmuff and the red head Solon?

From what I checked online it said the opposite, that I would probably be safer with the red head Solon though, so I’ll have to do some more research.

If not the earmuff, would I be ok with the red head Solon and the Naoko?

Royal Gramma
Yellow Coris wrasse
Naoko wrasse
Red head Solon wrasse
White leopard wrasse
Earmuff wrasse
 
I know about this but every time I go to write it out, I subconsciously type out yellow coris instead of yellow wrasse. I’m trying to change this habit of mine. I’m sorry 😭😭😭
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT IS THE LOUDEST PART OF YOUR REEF SYSTEM?

  • Return pump

    Votes: 1 4.0%
  • Powerheads or wavemakers

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Protein skimmer

    Votes: 6 24.0%
  • Overflow or drain

    Votes: 6 24.0%
  • Sump vibration or plumbing

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Cooling fans

    Votes: 5 20.0%
  • Dosing, ATO, or other equipment

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Nothing. My reef is surprisingly quiet

    Votes: 6 24.0%
  • Other (Tell us what makes the noise)

    Votes: 1 4.0%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new