New Fish

fishy4thomas

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey guys so for my birthday in a few months I would like to maybe add a new fish to my tank. Its 20 gallons, and it has 2 ocellaris clownfish, 1 emerald crab, 4 trochus snails and 4 blue-legged hermits in it. I wanted to know if you had any ideas for a new fish to add. I wanted to add a mandarinfish but i was told my tank was to young for it. Any cool fish I could add instead?
Thomas

JaaxReef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A nice captive bred Rainford Goby might be a great choice. Helps eat algae off rocks and lightly sifts the sand occasionally to keep that turned over. Great choice for a small tank and a beautiful white and orange striped coloration. Or you could get a nice small goby and pistol shrimp pair.

I love the chalk bass too. So I'll second that one.

Even after your tank is mature, I personally still wouldn't do a mandarin dragonette unless you feel like spending a fortune adding a bag of pods every week. They will drain that copepod supply in a tank that small in a hurry and pretty much need to eat all day or they starve. A high maintenance choice for long haul. I had one in a 3 year old 60 gallon cube who even ate frozen food and it was still a huge pain to keep it healthy and fed. I sold it to someone with a larger system after 6 months. :)

OP
OP
fishy4thomas

fishy4thomas

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A nice captive bred Rainford Goby might be a great choice. Helps eat algae off rocks and lightly sifts the sand occasionally to keep that turned over. Great choice for a small tank and a beautiful white and orange striped coloration. Or you could get a nice small goby and pistol shrimp pair.

I love the chalk bass too. So I'll second that one.

Even after your tank is mature, I personally still wouldn't do a mandarin dragonette unless you feel like spending a fortune adding a bag of pods every week. They will drain that copepod supply in a tank that small in a hurry and pretty much need to eat all day or they starve. A high maintenance choice for long haul. I had one in a 3 year old 60 gallon cube who even ate frozen food and it was still a huge pain to keep it healthy and fed. I sold it to someone with a larger system after 6 months. :)
Ok maybe ill wait for a better more mature tank for the mandarinfish. Rainfords do look nice :)

Keeping it clean: Have you used a filter roller?

• I currently use a filter roller.

Votes: 65 34.9%
  • I don’t currently use a filter roller, but I have in the past.

Votes: 6 3.2%
  • I have never used a filter roller, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 48 25.8%
  • I have never used a filter roller and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 59 31.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.3%
Back