OP
OP
MermaidTail

MermaidTail

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
UPDATE on my tank! Excited to show off some new pics. (The cool depth and arrangement of the aquascape is hard to really show off in pics...)

It's been a week and new corals seem to be doing really great (thanks @AquaSD !!) and my acan lord seems really happy, he inflates quite big, so cool to watch...he's a great red/maroon/scarlet color depending on his mood and I think he likes he spot on the big rock. My Alien Blood Goniastrea looks particularly GREAT under the blues and I'm hoping to see some growth from all the others, too. I wish I was brave enough to remove the frag plugs, alas, I'll just wait until the corals grow over them. I can't wait to add different colors to break up the red/orange palette I have going now...check out the pics. Think it's looking OK?
Tanks1.jpg
AcanLord1.jpg

cameronh

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
UPDATE on my tank! Excited to show off some new pics. (The cool depth and arrangement of the aquascape is hard to really show off in pics...)

It's been a week and new corals seem to be doing really great (thanks @AquaSD !!) and my acan lord seems really happy, he inflates quite big, so cool to watch...he's a great red/maroon/scarlet color depending on his mood and I think he likes he spot on the big rock. My Alien Blood Goniastrea looks particularly GREAT under the blues and I'm hoping to see some growth from all the others, too. I wish I was brave enough to remove the frag plugs, alas, I'll just wait until the corals grow over them. I can't wait to add different colors to break up the red/orange palette I have going now...check out the pics. Think it's looking OK?
Tanks1.jpg
AcanLord1.jpg
Nice! Looking good

OP
OP
MermaidTail

MermaidTail

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Cool update. After about two weeks in my nano, I can see my Jack-O'-Lantern Lepto really color up nicely and the green eyes are starting to emerge. It's also working it's way to cover the frag plug it came on. Successes are pretty cool to see, aren't they? ;)

Sorry for the crap pic (looks really purple) but you can sorta see the green eyes!

IMG_2514.JPG

taricha_94

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks! I like it; just wanting the corals to cover those eye-sore frag plugs! ;-p

I think they look great anyway! How do you actually remove the frag plugs? I actually don't have a tank set up yet so I'm doing some research. My dad had a tank and he usually just let the corals cover them like you are doing.. I was just wondering if there was another way :D

OP
OP
MermaidTail

MermaidTail

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think they look great anyway! How do you actually remove the frag plugs? I actually don't have a tank set up yet so I'm doing some research. My dad had a tank and he usually just let the corals cover them like you are doing.. I was just wondering if there was another way :D

I've read a bit about it, and it seems like removing coral from the frag plus may cause your corals unnecessary stress. So I'm cool with just enjoying them on the plug for now, and looking forward to seeing them grow over! Also- for encrusting corals, the plugs give them something to spread onto.

taricha_94

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've read a bit about it, and it seems like removing coral from the frag plus may cause your corals unnecessary stress. So I'm cool with just enjoying them on the plug for now, and looking forward to seeing them grow over! Also- for encrusting corals, the plugs give them something to spread onto.
Ah that makes a lot of sense.. Cool! Thanks for the info! :)

OP
OP
MermaidTail

MermaidTail

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Any updates?

Hey buddy- thanks for asking. We're into two months on the tank...everything's going really, really well!

Having a great time learning and figuring stuff off. Added some new corals (green and blue mushrooms, a cool orange/powder blue acan, pics below!) the reef is coming along. Also, I've had a dragon face pipefish (calling him Dratini) in for over two weeks and he's doing really well, seems happy, eating, and way more playful/active than what I've read about them online. He's a little guy, a great swimmer, and seems to like the attention of me watching him (he comes out from the rocks and "dances" for me, it's so cool!)

The only thing that's causing me some grief is my Zoa colonies. They look great when they decide to open, but that's not very often. They're by far my most temperamental corals and I really can't figure out why....

Also- it's super nerdy, but I've put a THEN and NOW pic of my lepto, side-by-side to see it's growth. It's doing so well and almost completely covering the base!

fulltank.JPG

growth.jpg

acans.JPG

bluemushrooms.JPG

dratini.JPG

OP
OP
MermaidTail

MermaidTail

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Awesome tank! What kind/how often, do you do water changes, maintenance, and, what salt brand do you use?

Hey! Thanks! It's not the aquatic masterpiece some on here have, but I like it as my first tank! ;)

I have the black Carib-Sea sand. I'm doing slight water changes (I don't really have an accurate measurement, sorry!) every three days. I have a cup I use, and take out about four full cups, then replace with new water. At that time, I spot feed my corals with little pieces of mysis. Seems to be going well!

cameronh

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey buddy- thanks for asking. We're into two months on the tank...everything's going really, really well!

Having a great time learning and figuring stuff off. Added some new corals (green and blue mushrooms, a cool orange/powder blue acan, pics below!) the reef is coming along. Also, I've had a dragon face pipefish (calling him Dratini) in for over two weeks and he's doing really well, seems happy, eating, and way more playful/active than what I've read about them online. He's a little guy, a great swimmer, and seems to like the attention of me watching him (he comes out from the rocks and "dances" for me, it's so cool!)

The only thing that's causing me some grief is my Zoa colonies. They look great when they decide to open, but that's not very often. They're by far my most temperamental corals and I really can't figure out why....

Also- it's super nerdy, but I've put a THEN and NOW pic of my lepto, side-by-side to see it's growth. It's doing so well and almost completely covering the base!

fulltank.JPG

growth.jpg

acans.JPG

bluemushrooms.JPG

dratini.JPG
Cool man looks good! Sometimes zoas can be a pain lol. I have the same green mushrooms. I have four now though, they took forever to split but once they started they kept on going.

trio91

NJRC (New Jersey Reefers Club)
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Tanks1.jpg
AcanLord1.jpg
looks good bud...

Chibils

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Really great to see this! I've got a very old Fluval Edge 6G (halogen lights and all) from when they first hit the market like 7 or 8 years ago and I really want to make it a desk-top nano reef like this. You're really tempting me!

Are you running the stock lights? Are they LED or something else?

OP
OP
MermaidTail

MermaidTail

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Really great to see this! I've got a very old Fluval Edge 6G (halogen lights and all) from when they first hit the market like 7 or 8 years ago and I really want to make it a desk-top nano reef like this. You're really tempting me!

Are you running the stock lights? Are they LED or something else?

Thanks! It's been so much fun! I really like this desktop nano a lot. And in terms of aesthetics, the Edge is so pretty in its design.

I am using the stock LEDs. But they're only 3w, so I've supplemented with a series of three, 3w LED's that I got from Home Depot. I don't know any of the experienced measurements of the exact quality of them, but they are working nicely.

One of the main lighting issues with the Edge is how to modify it with a lighting upgrade without comprising the sleek, clean shape and hood. These three circular LED's are acceptable to me for now- (acceptable, but not ideal) as I have a more serious and Edge-specific upgrade on the way that places correct lighting under the tank's hood...But for now, my rigging works really well and I'm seeing great growth. Here's a pic to show:

ImageUploadedByREEF2REEF1458277984.971927.jpg

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 39 23.8%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 57 34.8%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 49 29.9%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 15 9.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.4%
Back