OP
MermaidTail

MermaidTail

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What's up!

Hey! Things going well! But, I got the Ultrabrite 27 watt Fluval Edge light and have been noticing some brown, stringy algae build up. Thinking it's because of the new lights, because I haven't had the issue before them. The interesting part is, the temperamental Zoas I've mentioned in previous post are pretty covered in the stuff; but they're the only corals that are. What's up with that?!

OP
OP
MermaidTail

MermaidTail

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Pic of the new light and your Zoas?

Here are some pics to see...my params (that I can measure) are all in check. And like I said, everything else is doing great. Just that brown algae stuff is an eyesore and the Zoa's are really affected.

zoas.jpg

algae.jpg

tank1.jpg

cameronh

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My fluval edge did the same thing. What were your previous lights? How many watts? If you know that is

OP
OP
MermaidTail

MermaidTail

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My fluval edge did the same thing. What were your previous lights? How many watts? If you know that is

Same thing meaning brown algae build-up? What did you do? My previous lights were the stock 3w, plus three additional 3w, so 12w total. But they were just basic sit-on-top lights I got from Home Depot. Corals did well, but didn't thrive, and not sure it was proper light quality.

The new lights are 27w.

Ryan Rioux

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Same thing meaning brown algae build-up? What did you do? My previous lights were the stock 3w, plus three additional 3w, so 12w total. But they were just basic sit-on-top lights I got from Home Depot. Corals did well, but didn't thrive, and not sure it was proper light quality.

The new lights are 27w.
Off topic but my tank is close to your tanks age now , I had a 7 lb piece of liverock with 65 lbs dry rock and I just started a week ago to get the brown stringy algae your talk about , A little string hanging up from rock everywhere . I have it on sand as well. I think it's part of diatom. My glass is covered brown algae as well.

OP
OP
MermaidTail

MermaidTail

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Off topic but my tank is close to your tanks age now , I had a 7 lb piece of liverock with 65 lbs dry rock and I just started a week ago to get the brown stringy algae your talk about , A little string hanging up from rock everywhere . I have it on sand as well. I think it's part of diatom. My glass is covered brown algae as well.

Thanks for the info! Are you doing anything to clean it up?

cameronh

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

The new lights are 27w.
Yeah when I had that tank the same thing happened. What's your clean up crew number?

Ryan Rioux

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the info! Are you doing anything to clean it up?
I have a starry blenny in the tank but he doesn't do Much not that I see at least , maybe he goes hunting for it at night. I also have some snails , and some hermits . Today I took my Magnet and scraped a lot off the glass. But I usually leave it for snails.to eat. Can't wait til the diatom end though so this way can give tank a good cleaning
Inside. Add a few snails 4 or 5 and 3 hermits .

cameronh

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have five hermits and 3 snails
Some more snails won't hurt. About 3 more. Get some astrea snails if you can manage. They are the best at getting work done haha.

OP
OP
MermaidTail

MermaidTail

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@ MermaidTail, what are the new lights you've added? Do you have any pictures? Thanks.

They're the 27w custom Fluval Edge upgrade from Edgebrite. Pics of the actual light? Or pics of the lights on? Here's a pic of the lights on day mode:

ImageUploadedByREEF2REEF1459536536.692415.jpg

Chibils

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Very cool! It looks like it's a custom hood replacement? Do you have any pictures of the under side, the unit itself?

OP
OP
MermaidTail

MermaidTail

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Very cool! It looks like it's a custom hood replacement? Do you have any pictures of the under side, the unit itself?

Yep! Custom hood modification to fit the tank so the design isn't changed. Maintenance day here, so here are shots of the actual lights and controls...

ImageUploadedByREEF2REEF1459691058.399176.jpg

ImageUploadedByREEF2REEF1459691068.301319.jpg

cameronh

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had the same ones on my 3 gallon with controller
474c92e45bcce874e8683c2ecf78aa26.jpg
That's them

cameronh

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They worked out more than ok haha. They were growing my corals like crazy

Making themselves at home: Have you intentionally done anything in your aquarium to enhance the natural behavior of your fish?

• I planned my tank to encourage natural fish behavior.

Votes: 18 26.1%
  • I did some things to encourage natural fish behavior.

Votes: 23 33.3%
  • Anything that encourages natural fish behavior was a byproduct of the aquascaping.

Votes: 14 20.3%
  • I did not do anything to encourage natural fish behavior.

Votes: 11 15.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 4.3%
Back