New Fluval Evo 13.5

Aaron Soliz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello Everyone!

New to the site and happy to be back into the hobby. I had received the fluval 13.5 gallon last christmas but never fully opened it till my girlfriends brother, bought the Red Sea Max. That made me jump back into and glad I did. I have it all set up.

I just started it up a few days ago and it looks great! I have the tank were you can see from all 3 sides in my room.

Upgrades:
1) Decided to get more flow into the tank so I bought a power head.
2) Intank media basket in the 2nd chamber (filter floss up top, carbon in middle, biomax at the very bottom and another filter pad underneath that) I have chemi-pure blue and purigen after it is done being cycled.
3) I purchased the Skimmer designed for this aquarium but might take it back. I took the black sponge out and cut it in half and put it in the first chamber. Do I really need that there? Can someone help me there.

In the tank now:
1) 15 pounds of the new real reef rock
2) 10 pounds of live sand

Future stocking list:

1) 2 Golden Nugget clowns
2) Shrimp goby (not sure which one yet) and shrimp to pair up with the goby

This should be a real fun aquarium to deal with and look forward to when it is time to stock with corals.

IMG_2990.JPG

IMG_3001.JPG

IMG_3005.JPG

IMG_3020.JPG

OP
OP
A

Aaron Soliz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks great! I'm really digging the rock work! What are you planning to do as far as coral?
Thank bro. Took me a few hours to get it the way I want it but that is just how it does. Takes time. I am pretty sure this is the first and last time ill change it.

Corals will be the simple stuff. Xenia, Zoas, Softies, Hammer, Green Star. Basically, anything that is simple to keep under this lighting.

What do you think about the back chambers? Not sure about the 1st chamber though with the the sponge I cut in half. Leave it?

Aaron

OP
OP
A

Aaron Soliz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The rock I bought was man made. Mistaken it that it was live rock. No wonder if haven't seen much diatoms lately. It's beautiful color but I did buy some Fritz Zyme 9 and when I started the tank 7 days ago... I added 10ML of it. Should have I added 3/4 of the bottle? Or should I add some live rock in the back chamber? Any help would be appreciated.

dmankin

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Aaron - I'm about to pull the trigger and get an EVO 13.5 as well. I see that many are adding a power head, just as you have. I went to Amazon to see what power heads are available (and the cost), and found that there are lots of sizes & flow options out there. Do you know what 'size' would be best for the EVO 13.5? Obviously some would be overkill, and there might even be some that are not powerful enough. And I know the livestock inhabitants also will dictate what flow is right. But while I do not have a single piece of equipment yet, I'm shopping around. Any input you can provide, or anyone else would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks,
Dave

jaegers_reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Aaron - I'm about to pull the trigger and get an EVO 13.5 as well. I see that many are adding a power head, just as you have. I went to Amazon to see what power heads are available (and the cost), and found that there are lots of sizes & flow options out there. Do you know what 'size' would be best for the EVO 13.5? Obviously some would be overkill, and there might even be some that are not powerful enough. And I know the livestock inhabitants also will dictate what flow is right. But while I do not have a single piece of equipment yet, I'm shopping around. Any input you can provide, or anyone else would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks,
Dave
I originally started out with a Hydor koralia 425 but last week decided to change to a Hydor koralia 240. I like the lower flow a bit more for my tank. I have a evo as well.

OP
OP
A

Aaron Soliz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Need some help. I have been in the cycling process for the past month and everything looks good but my local saltwater fish store here said my PH is low. I checked it once I got home again but can never tell the color. What do you guys think? I bought reef buffer just incase

IMG_6905.JPG

IMG_6907.JPG

Bigtex817

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
To me it looks like 8.2-8.4. There looks to be a more purple color and less brown. I have a hard time getting mine above the 7.8-8.0 range. If not mistaken it should be around 8.2.

SURMANATOR

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice start! it's a fun little setup.. water changes literally take 5 mins.. pretty easy to maintain.. I like the long display, leaves a decent amount of swimming room for fish as opposed to the cubes..

IMG_4493.JPG

IMG_4529.PNG

Kevin Revallo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What is the most powerful return pump that a person can use for the 13.5? I feel the draw isn't as strong as it should be... suggestions please? I do have a powerhead Koralia 240 in there as well...

Kevin Revallo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just put in a sicce 1.0 and that was a huge improvement. I run a koralia 240 also
It fits ok in the 3rd slot? probably a dumb question - I just ordered one just want to make sure I do not have to do any mods to make it fit.... Also, did you plug hole up in 2nd compartment? If you did what are the results?

jaegers_reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It fits ok in the 3rd slot? probably a dumb question - I just ordered one just want to make sure I do not have to do any mods to make it fit.... Also, did you plug hole up in 2nd compartment? If you did what are the results?
it fits fine just a little tight, you have to install it on an angle then rotate it down to get it into place and make sure you have the nipple on top unscrewed. I did not plug the hole in the 2nd compartment.

Kevin Revallo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the reply - maybe with a stronger return pump that "hole" won't be an issue... I have read that people block it up for what-ever reason. I did notice the gph was stronger on your pump... have you done any lighting changes or have you kept it stock? Sorry for all the questions...

Kevin Revallo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am thinking of changing from the stock light to the AI Prime HD for this tank - has anyone else done this? For the most part this tank will be corals maybe a pair of clowns... any advice?

motownjc

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I love my evo!!! I have a powerhead i there now but getting ready to get a better one where you can program it.

I am also thinking about getting the hd AI prime.

What is the advantage of using Purigan and chemipure blue?

CamG

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have had my Fluval 13.5 up and running since April.
I just upgraded the stock pump with a new one that goes up to 317 GPH but I have it running about 50%. The flow through the media chambers is so much better.

I also have a small wave maker that really improved the flow in the tank.

Just last week I got a Prime HD for it. I am so impressed with this light. I should have bought one sooner.
If you are thinking about upgrading your light I recommend this one. Wifi right out of the box and simple set up with amazing control.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 60 38.5%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 35 22.4%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 55 35.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 3.8%
Back