New Frag tanks

TritonsGarden

Coral Farmer Wannabe
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Picked up a few more frag tanks this past weekend. These were from the Coral Gardens. It took a lot of elbow grease but we got most of the coraline out. Now I have to get busy and get these up and running.

P3090009.jpg

Jack

H@rry

Troll
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow! What size are they? What are you going to grow? Do they have any more for sale? Whatever happened to Philip? Where are you in "Southern Tennessee"?

(I'm sure I can think up a couple more questions in an hour or so):bigsmile:

Speaking of Southern Tennessee, I feel like I'm in Southern Tennessee myself. I came here from Mobile (well a spent a couple of years in Birmingham along the way). When I came to Huntsville I crossed the Tennessee River so I thought I was in Tennessee.

Last edited:
OP
OP
TritonsGarden

TritonsGarden

Coral Farmer Wannabe
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They are 72x30x16. Growing a little bit of everything. They had some smaller ones (72x18x16) left but none this size. Don't quote me but I think Philip partnered with someone in Floridia and they are working on a huge operation. Lawrenceburg.

I feel more like I'm in north AL. Lived a couple of years in Birmingham during school and I've worked in Huntsville for 27 years now.

Jack

mltascp

Alabama Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice tanks Jack. I can't wait to get a chance to come see your operation. One of these days when things slow down maybe Don and I can come see you and Kathy if you guys will have us.

OP
OP
TritonsGarden

TritonsGarden

Coral Farmer Wannabe
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
you and Don are welcome anytime.. We got 2 of the tanks moved in last night we are hoping to get the plumbing done this weekend.

Jack and I are talking about hosting a meeting here maybe in the summer and have a cookout and fragging party or something to that nature we just are not sure how many folks would be willing to come all the way up to Tennessee for a meeting?
Kathy

OP
OP
TritonsGarden

TritonsGarden

Coral Farmer Wannabe
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
they aprox 150 gallons each. they will be full very soon. Jack plumbed the 1st one last night and it is filling as I am writting this. so far so good.
Kathy

gflat65

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wish I'd gone to look at them, but you snooze you lose:). Those are about the size of what I'm hoping to get from Ocea (just one, though). How long to you have them filled up:D?

OP
OP
TritonsGarden

TritonsGarden

Coral Farmer Wannabe
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
2 of them should be ready to by Sunday, but it is going to take a long time to get them filled..... send us some frags to put in there.....LOL

Eddie Baby

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wonder where those came from in Philip's operation - I don't think those are the ones that used to be in the back of the old Aquarium Designs location, as I don't remember those having trim on them. They definitely weren't at the greenhouse - those were all homemade wooden tanks covered in epoxy paint. Guess they were from AD.

No matter - nice pickup! I think you can take the 'Wannabe' off of your ID tag if you're going to have those babies up and going.

As for Philip, the last time I talked to him (quite a while ago now - late summer), he said that the new project was going to be the largest coral farm in the U.S. No details on where or who with, but that's what he said.

OP
OP
TritonsGarden

TritonsGarden

Coral Farmer Wannabe
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was told they came from the greenhouse but that may have been incorrect. These are identical to the display tanks at AD so maybe they came from a closed store.

I am still a wannabe until they are full of coral LOL !!!

Jack

OP
OP
TritonsGarden

TritonsGarden

Coral Farmer Wannabe
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I actually got by with just one trip this time. I did have a small flood. Had too much flow from the return pump so I cut the return
pipe to install a gate valve. I expected a little water to come out but not a gusher like I got. :squigglemouth:

I capped the pipe with my hand while Kathy got the valve, closed it, and applyed glue. Then I slipped it on real quick.
Lost about 5 gallons.

I wouldn't know what to do if I didn't have a small flood with every plumbing job I do.

Jack

H@rry

Troll
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You might want to try turning the pump off before you cut the pipe. :wink:

I went to Lowe's three times the same day plumbing the frag tank.

OP
OP
TritonsGarden

TritonsGarden

Coral Farmer Wannabe
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
turned the pump off... but the return pipes are to short... LOL ( lower than the teeth on the over flow) oh well live and learn.
Kathy

H@rry

Troll
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ah, opportunity to use a shut off valve. :angel:

Just thinking about it, won't the same thing happen if the power goes off? Won't it backflush through the return line into your sump?

Last edited:
OP
OP
TritonsGarden

TritonsGarden

Coral Farmer Wannabe
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yep. There are 3 return pipes and I cut them too short so they are about 1" below the water line when the flow is on and nozzles down. I need to raise the pipes to prevent a back siphon.

Had my hands in the tanks so much lately, I'm starting to grow coralline on my fingernails.

Jack

Managing real reef risks: Do you pay attention to the dangers in your tank?

• I pay a lot of attention to reef risks.

Votes: 62 46.6%
  • I pay a bit of attention to reef risks.

Votes: 43 32.3%
  • I pay minimal attention to reef risks.

Votes: 19 14.3%
  • I pay no attention to reef risks.

Votes: 8 6.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.8%

Back