New Frag UC Loony Bin Acropora

  • Thread starter Thread starter Cscultho
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users Tagged users None

Cscultho

Active Member
View Badges
Joined
Feb 24, 2017
Messages
360
Reaction score
173
What state or country do you live in
Michigan
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Today I just received a beautiful frag of a UC Loony Bin Acropora. Where should I place it in the tank? I currently have it in the middle section but plan to move towards the top after a week. Does this sound like a good plan?

IMG_7770.jpeg
 
Generally, sure. But unless you have par mapped your tank you are blindly guessing as to the optimal spot.
 
Generally, sure. But unless you have par mapped your tank you are blindly guessing as to the optimal spot.
Unfortunately, I do not have a par meter. I’m basing my decision on how well my green slimmer is doing at the top third of the tank. I’m assuming this Acropora is also a high demand (par) coral
 
Unfortunately, I do not have a par meter. I’m basing my decision on how well my green slimmer is doing at the top third of the tank. I’m assuming this Acropora is also a high demand (par) coral
Not sure where you are, but a lot of LFS rent PAR meters. One of my local stores rents them for $35 and you get to keep it 3 days, but they're also not really fussy about the return date, you can call and extend for free as long as there's no demand for it (typically not). Last time I rented it I kept it a week and mapped a few friends tanks with it.
 
Not sure where you are, but a lot of LFS rent PAR meters. One of my local stores rents them for $35 and you get to keep it 3 days, but they're also not really fussy about the return date, you can call and extend for free as long as there's no demand for it (typically not). Last time I rented it I kept it a week and mapped a few friends tanks with it.
Interesting. Was not aware of this. If I can locate a meter what is the recommended par for this particular acros or are all acros essentially the same -- High Light, high flow?
 
Not all acros are the same. I'd ping or message the vendor and ask.
 
Interesting. Was not aware of this. If I can locate a meter what is the recommended par for this particular acros or are all acros essentially the same -- High Light, high flow?
Like @Cell said, not all the same. I mean, sure, if you want to use broad terminology like "High Light" and "High Flow," then most Acros fit this bill. But it's important to remember that "High" not only means different things to different people (Some say it's anything above 250, some say it's anything above 350, etc), it's a wide range, so some Acro prefer lower-end of high, while others will take as much light as you could throw at them.

That being said, since it's a UniqueCorals Signature coral, you may want to start there and contact @uniquecorals directly, they will have the best information for that particular frag from their mother colony.
 
Like @Cell said, not all the same. I mean, sure, if you want to use broad terminology like "High Light" and "High Flow," then most Acros fit this bill. But it's important to remember that "High" not only means different things to different people (Some say it's anything above 250, some say it's anything above 350, etc), it's a wide range, so some Acro prefer lower-end of high, while others will take as much light as you could throw at them.

That being said, since it's a UniqueCorals Signature coral, you may want to start there and contact @uniquecorals directly, they will have the best information for that particular frag from their mother colony.
Thank you
 
I hope your frag is doing well. I wanted to add that the primary colony of this at sunnysidecorals.com is grown at around 350-400 par in medium flow. Pic from their site. It gets fluffy with lower flow imo.
 

Attachments

  • Screenshot_20240615_191848_Samsung Internet.jpg
    Screenshot_20240615_191848_Samsung Internet.jpg
    301.3 KB · Views: 46

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT DO YOU USUALLY CHECK FIRST WHEN YOU LOOK AT YOUR REEF?

  • A particular fish I enjoy watching

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • The fish population—making sure everyone is accounted for

    Votes: 2 11.1%
  • Coral extension, color, or growth

    Votes: 8 44.4%
  • Recent additions or other changes

    Votes: 3 16.7%
  • Water clarity or the surface

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Equipment and water movement

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Signs of algae, pests, or trouble

    Votes: 1 5.6%
  • I just enjoy the whole scene

    Votes: 2 11.1%
  • Other (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 2 11.1%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new