New freshwater aquarium

Lamar1410

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi I have had my fresh water tank for 3 weeks now did prime and conditioner to it. Everything was good ,my fish were happy today I did another water check. Found out I had no ph and high ammonia. I being new panicked and got turbo start and added it while fish are in. Will my fish die

lapin

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is really not a fresh water forum.
First: you can not have "0" Ph. If you did it would be battery acid and burn everything living including your skin.
The ammonia is an issue. The turbo start will help. You need to have gravel and rock for the bacteria to grow on. . Prime binds ammonia so it becomes non toxic . In 48 hours it releases the ammonia and it becomes toxic again.
Because prime binds it without getting rid of it, your ammonia test will not be very accurate.
I suggest you do water changes for a few days until your ammonia goes away.

OP
OP
Lamar1410

Lamar1410

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is really not a fresh water forum.
First: you can not have "0" Ph. If you did it would be battery acid and burn everything living including your skin.
The ammonia is an issue. The turbo start will help. You need to have gravel and rock for the bacteria to grow on. . Prime binds ammonia so it becomes non toxic . In 48 hours it releases the ammonia and it becomes toxic again.
Because prime binds it without getting rid of it, your ammonia test will not be very accurate.
I suggest you do water changes for a few days until your ammonia goes away.
Thanks sorry I'm new to this and panicked like a beginner would . I put the turbo in while my fish were in and put proper ph 7.5 in .thanks for the help means alot as a beginner and didn't know where to turn

Kappaquariums

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi I have had my fresh water tank for 3 weeks now did prime and conditioner to it. Everything was good ,my fish were happy today I did another water check. Found out I had no ph and high ammonia. I being new panicked and got turbo start and added it while fish are in. Will my fish die
Since you added TurboStart, that would establish a beneficial bacteria colony that will convert your ammonia into nitrates. Your fish shouldn't die unless they're some really sensitive kinds like discus. I'd recommend keeping up on water changes once ammonia levels drop. Also consider adding extremely basic plants like Java Fern which don't require any special substrate/fertilizer. https://dustinsfishtanks.com/ is a great option if you don't have a store near you that sells freshwater plants.

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 4 20.0%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 16 80.0%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 4 20.0%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 1 5.0%
  • Other

Votes: 2 10.0%
Back