New frogspawn New tank

MrMaTTpaT

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello everyone, just recently i purchased a frogspawn and its not doing too well
temp-78
kh-8.5
ph-8.2
nitrite-.02
nitrate-7
ammonia-.001
cal-380
mg-1300
iodine-.06
if you need any other numbers i might have them just lemme know
any suggestions would help me immensely too, thankyou

IMG_7383.png
IMG_7382.png
IMG_7381.png

TX_REEF

Kessil Fanboy
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Any presence of ammonia or nitrite is a no-go for happy corals, is your cycle complete? Did something die recently? Perhaps you need more beneficial bacteria in the tank via liquid supplements or more live rock.

OP
OP
MrMaTTpaT

MrMaTTpaT

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Any presence of ammonia or nitrite is a no-go for happy corals, is your cycle complete? Did something die recently? Perhaps you need more beneficial bacteria in the tank via liquid supplements or more live rock.
would it hurt anything if i dosed again with dr. tims? my mushroom died

OP
OP
MrMaTTpaT

MrMaTTpaT

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i was doing 40% changes weekly which i believe was too much… now its 20% every two or when nitrates get to abt 10

EeyoreIsMySpiritAnimal

Just another girl who likes fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Any presence of ammonia or nitrite is a no-go for happy corals
This is completely untrue. Corals "eat" ammonia and nitrites, in fact, they prefer them to nitrates.
Of course, very high levels can cause negative effects, but the small amounts the OP has are not an issue for coral.

OP
OP
MrMaTTpaT

MrMaTTpaT

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is completely untrue. Corals "eat" ammonia and nitrites, in fact, they prefer them to nitrates.
Of course, very high levels can cause negative effects, but the small amounts the OP has are not an issue for coral.
so what could possibly be my problem, someone recommended i try chemiclean is that a bad idea?

EeyoreIsMySpiritAnimal

Just another girl who likes fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
oh wow, alot higher than i thought, i guess no changing the water for afew weeks. my toadstool and candycane will be okay too?
Absolutely! Soft corals (toadstools) like even dirtier water than LPS. But candy canes and duncans can definitely do fine with higher nitrate/phosphate. Increase nutrients slowly and observe your coral - they won't show a change overnight. When your corals look good, note the nitrate and phosphate levels and use these as your baseline. Some tanks do fine with ULN (ultra low nutrients) and others do well with higher than average levels (like nitrate 50-100 and phos 0.5-1.0). Make slow changes and let the tank tell you what's good for you; don't chase any particular numbers.

OP
OP
MrMaTTpaT

MrMaTTpaT

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Absolutely! Soft corals (toadstools) like even dirtier water than LPS. But candy canes and duncans can definitely do fine with higher nitrate/phosphate. Increase nutrients slowly and observe your coral - they won't show a change overnight. When your corals look good, note the nitrate and phosphate levels and use these as your baseline. Some tanks do fine with ULN (ultra low nutrients) and others do well with higher than average levels (like nitrate 50-100 and phos 0.5-1.0). Make slow changes and let the tank tell you what's good for you; don't chase any particular numbers.
Wow, thankyou for all the info i really appreciate it, ill definitely take it all into account, atleast its no virus or bug or anything. sidenote, do you think my flow is too strong? i think it is becuase my xenia flow weird lol, so i might buy a powerhead that makes about half the flow mine does right now, 285 down to 150

TX_REEF

Kessil Fanboy
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks, I knew that was the case for nitrates and phosphates, wasn’t aware of the same for ammonia and nitrites!

Yang’s Blue Paradise

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
okay thankyou, ill post an update, i also think it could be my flow, its a 15g tank with a 285gph powerhead, but i cant find anything with a lower flow
that was my problem as well after getting a powerhead. I just removed the powerhead and went with a stronger return pump. The SICCE ones allow you to adjust how strong it is manually. you got a video of the frogspawn?

OP
OP
MrMaTTpaT

MrMaTTpaT

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
that was my problem as well after getting a powerhead. I just removed the powerhead and went with a stronger return pump. The SICCE ones allow you to adjust how strong it is manually. you got a video of the frogspawn?
i can describe it since im not home right now, but most of the time it looks like that picture and doesnt move, i suspect my flow is too powerful since my pulsing xenia fly everywhere anywhere i put em in my tank, so im gonna go get a slower powerhead

Going off the ledge: Would you be interested in a drop off aquarium?

• I currently have a drop off style aquarium

Votes: 2 1.1%
  • I don’t currently have a drop off style aquarium, but I have in the past.

Votes: 3 1.6%
  • I haven’t had a drop off style aquarium, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 27 14.8%
  • I am interested in a drop off style aquarium, but have no plans to add one in the future.

Votes: 90 49.2%
  • I am not interested in a drop off style aquarium.

Votes: 56 30.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 2.7%
Back