New FTS and camera dilemma

Jonreefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Jonreefer, I have the 100-400L. It has a manual zoom-tension adjustment ring, so it really doesn't count. I use a friend's 70-200L frequently (he probably wonders why I just don't buy my own) and have never had it creep. My SigmaEX 24-70 has hung face down many times while shooting top-down shots and it doesn't creep. In fact, the zoom ring on it is tight enough that it takes a small amount of effort to zoom. My 17-40L doesn't creep, but it's so relatively light that I wouldn't expect it to do so. The rest of my lenses are primes. You're the first person I've heard from that has viewed zoom creep as acceptable and expected. Now you have me curious. I think I'll ask in my favorite photo forum to see what others are experiencing and/or expect for zoom behavior.
Gary
well I guess the 100-400 doesnt count cause it has the adjusting ring on it..I hate the push pull design..wish canon would redo that one.
I have never had zoom creep on internal zooming lenses like the 70-200..Have you ever used the Sigma 50-500 it is HEAVY..and sigma knows it will move it has a locking switch on it to stop it from sliding out if pointed down. My tamron 28-75 also had a Locking switch on it..to stop any type of zoom creep when not using the lens. You just cant get past that..unless you make the zoom ring soo tight that you wouldnt be able to turn it to zoom the lens. so there is a trade off. The only time I would not accept it is if feel to full zoom and had a bang to stop it reaching the end..but a little creeping going on facing downwards I do not see this as an issue especially with HEAVY leanses..

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 47 16.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 18 6.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 35 12.5%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 161 57.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 19 6.8%
Back